Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Time to upgrade?

Hammyhouse
Tutor

Time to upgrade?

Hello all, wants to say thanks first for the the advice. I currently have the rbk50 setup with 3 decent gaming PCs and 2 playstations along with a bunch of smart devices, ring package (alarm camera). I’m using spectrum for isp and have the 400 package. I actually pull like 475mb down and 20 up. Recently I have notice some connection and buffer issues. Had isp come out and they say the line signal is good. I do have the option to go with the gig option but before I do that should I update my router setup? Read some articles in here that this Orbi setup can handle the 1gig but I’m wondering if I’m pushing it with amount of devices on the Orbi setup. Again any help is appreciated . Thanks.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

As @plemans suggested and gave info. May not be worth it, and if your ISP is Spectrum, they are hard to deal with when it comes to user owned modems. So if you run into problems with your own modem, good luck in dealing with Spectrum. It would be best to use one of there modem only units. I would recommend the CM1200 as I enjoy mine, however don't have Spectrum. Experiences differ with different ISPs. If Orbi 50 series is stable and working well for you, use it until such time as you see fit to get into something else. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

@Hammyhouse wrote:

Okay so i did a firmware update , made some changes i found throught the community. (fast roaming turned off etc.) seems to be alot more stable. Im pulling 495 down and 20 up off a 400/20 service (spectrum). 

Now with all said would you see a reason to upgrade anything in my network? Orbi is 2 years old working fine though. I have some reward points to use and can get the cm1200 modem over provider modem but is it really worth it? 

I do plan on adding some more smart device but the rbk50 states it can handle a decent amount of devices. 

Thanks for your input. 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 20

All Replies
plemans
Guru

do you have the option of hardwiring in some devices?

Either to the satellites or router? 

If you do, then do so first. Wired is much faster, lower latency and will take some of the burden off the wifi. 

Even hardwiring some devices into the satellites help as the satellites have the wider 1733mbps backhaul with the 50 series of mesh. 

Its a solid system. 

Message 2 of 20
Hammyhouse
Tutor

Yes, so I have two of the computers and a PlayStation hard wired to the rbr50 and I have another pc hooked up via wire thru the rbs50, everything else obviously is WiFi.

It’s the random drops or lag out that kills me.
Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 4 of 20
Hammyhouse
Tutor

Yes I just saw the thread on some settings. Right now I’m on .104 was gonna update to the latest , looks like I’m one behind. Gonna check setting and report back.

Using spectrum /charter service and modem model is e31u2v1
Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to update the RBS first then RBR lastly. 

First try a full power OFF of rhe RBS and RBR for 1 minute then back ON. If problems continue, try a full on factory reset and setup from scratch. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Message 6 of 20
Hammyhouse
Tutor

Yeah did reboot yesterday and just measured about 36 ft across . Straight shot from each other.
Message 7 of 20
Hammyhouse
Tutor

I do have logs on for attacks , going to turn it off. Read that somewhere.
Message 8 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a POWER OFF instead of reboot. 

Ya, rememember something about logs filling up however those should clear out when full and restart over. I have only a few selected myself. 

Message 9 of 20
Hammyhouse
Tutor

Okay so i did a firmware update , made some changes i found throught the community. (fast roaming turned off etc.) seems to be alot more stable. Im pulling 495 down and 20 up off a 400/20 service (spectrum). 

Now with all said would you see a reason to upgrade anything in my network? Orbi is 2 years old working fine though. I have some reward points to use and can get the cm1200 modem over provider modem but is it really worth it? 

I do plan on adding some more smart device but the rbk50 states it can handle a decent amount of devices. 

Thanks for your input. 

Message 10 of 20
plemans
Guru

Is it worth it on 400mbps service? probably not.

Is it worth buying your own modem? potentially? reason I say potentially is that spectrum doesn't currently charge for a modem (that I'm aware). So its costing you nothing. The downside is they lock their devices down so the home owner can't check the modems signal. And when you do have line issues and call in, their default response is "it isn't the line". Having your own modem allows you to check it yourself. 

But if the line/signal is working fine, then it isn't really an issue. 

so is it worth it for a modem? up to you on that one. 

Is it worth upgrading the router? If you've got it working and providing all your coverage/speed needs, then I'd hold off. AX prices will only come down with time. 

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

As @plemans suggested and gave info. May not be worth it, and if your ISP is Spectrum, they are hard to deal with when it comes to user owned modems. So if you run into problems with your own modem, good luck in dealing with Spectrum. It would be best to use one of there modem only units. I would recommend the CM1200 as I enjoy mine, however don't have Spectrum. Experiences differ with different ISPs. If Orbi 50 series is stable and working well for you, use it until such time as you see fit to get into something else. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

@Hammyhouse wrote:

Thanks for your input. 

Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI the CM1200 is a modem only. No router built in here. 

Message 13 of 20
Hammyhouse
Tutor

it has 4 ports on it wouldnt that act as a switch...i saw it had link aggregation

Message 14 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

No...the CM is a modem ONLY. The ports in the back are WAN side ports, thus if a ISP supports giving out more than 1 WAN IP address to 1 modem, i.e CM1200, then each of these ports can support a different WAN IP address on each port for the 1 modem. Do not confuse multiple ports on the CM1200 for a router. This is NOT the case on the CM1200. It's a Modem ONLY! 

Message 15 of 20
Hammyhouse
Tutor

Thank you for the clarification i just pulled up the user manual and cunfused my self with link aggregation. thanks for everyone help!

Message 16 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

LInk Agg is for connections with external routers that support LAG on there WAN side ports to the CM1200. Like the Orbi RBR850 is one, there are other models that support LAG on the WAN side. 

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

How much gaming do you do? Moderate or often and heavy? How many gaming devices do you have? 

Multiple gaming devcies at same time or one at a time? 

Message 18 of 20
Hammyhouse
Tutor

So i play warzone on my pc just about every other day, my son plays ps5 24/7 basically. My daughter plays valorant all the time via pc. There home during summer but basically everynight they play. 

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

And does current router system work for you three? 

Maybe something like NG XR series gaming router could be something up for review if you don't think currnet system is working well for gaming. 

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7