Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trouble in stability Orbi rbk40

LoboTommy
Luminary

Trouble in stability Orbi rbk40

So, I have some issues.

My setup are one rbr20 and three rbs20. They are wireless backhauled. Internet is provided by altobox Norway, fibre optic network. Modem is bridged, leaving the rbr20 as the main network router. All satelites and router are up to date firmware.

Sometime last night, all the orbis went down flashing all colours. After tons of reboots, sync button clicks, setups and setups I managede in the end to have them all talking again, but only one links up good. The two others link "poor". According to the app, they are offline. According to the dashboardinterface they are online, but poor quality.

I need help, to get them running smooth again. Everything was fine for about a week, with no issues.

Please ask what information you want to help me troubleshoot.
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
LoboTommy
Luminary

Re: Trouble in stability Orbi rbk40

Finnaly, the solution!

After talking alot with support, they guided me to the newest manually update of the firmware

https://kb.netgear.com/000060607/RBR20-RBS20-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-28

Updated, and finally stability!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

- What is the approximate distance between the Router and Satellites?

- What type of wired devices do you have connected to Orbi? Any speakers (e.g. Sonos)?

- Please toggle the Daisy Chain setting that you find in the GUI under >> ADVANCED >> Advanced Setp >> Wireless Setup

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@LoboTommy wrote:
So, I have some issues.

My setup are one rbr20 and three rbs20. They are wireless backhauled. Internet is provided by altobox Norway, fibre optic network. Modem is bridged, leaving the rbr20 as the main network router. All satelites and router are up to date firmware.

Sometime last night, all the orbis went down flashing all colours. After tons of reboots, sync button clicks, setups and setups I managede in the end to have them all talking again, but only one links up good. The two others link "poor". According to the app, they are offline. According to the dashboardinterface they are online, but poor quality.

I need help, to get them running smooth again. Everything was fine for about a week, with no issues.

Please ask what information you want to help me troubleshoot.

Message 3 of 9
LoboTommy
Luminary

Distance beteeen rouyer and satelites varies. About 10-15 meters (i live in a metric country). Lot of strange walls to signal through though.

Two wired units connected. A PS4 pro wired directly to the router, and a stationary computer wired to one satellite. Rest of the house is wireless.

Daisy Chain has been toggled on and off numerous times, without any difference.
Message 4 of 9
LoboTommy
Luminary

I'm so bad with square feet. But I used an online converter.... 100 Square Meters =
1,076.3910 Square Feet.
There is at least 15 meters inbetween.
Channel 11 in 2.4ghz is set, cuz it was unused by any neighbours (used Wi-Fi analyzer)
The 5ghz is also set to a free channel, though I can't recall witch atm.
All these settings are toggled on an off in various combinations with little to no effect.

In the end, I factory reset the router and satelites, and set it up from scratch. Now it's stable again
Message 5 of 9
ekhalil
Master

Great that things are stable now. Hope it will stay like that.
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Also after you set up the router, do a Backup of the routers configuration to file. Keep this file for safe keeping later on should you need to do a reset again. Saves time. 

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

@LoboTommy wrote:
I'm so bad with square feet. But I used an online converter.... 100 Square Meters =
1,076.3910 Square Feet.
There is at least 15 meters inbetween.
Channel 11 in 2.4ghz is set, cuz it was unused by any neighbours (used Wi-Fi analyzer)
The 5ghz is also set to a free channel, though I can't recall witch atm.
All these settings are toggled on an off in various combinations with little to no effect.

In the end, I factory reset the router and satelites, and set it up from scratch. Now it's stable again

Message 7 of 9
LoboTommy
Luminary

Finnaly, the solution!

After talking alot with support, they guided me to the newest manually update of the firmware

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Glad the new FW works better. 

Enjoy. 

@LoboTommy wrote:
Finnaly, the solution!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7