× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to ditch my Actiontec MI24WR and connect Orbi directly to the ONT

gszakacs
Initiate

Trying to ditch my Actiontec MI24WR and connect Orbi directly to the ONT

I just bought an Orbi RBR20 router with a single RBW30 sattelite, and I'd like to replace my existing Actiontec router instead of going through it.  The Actiontec router is already connected to the ONT using Ethernet.  According to the existing router, it's getting its IP address using DHCP.  If I look at the address from time to time it changes, so it's clearly not fixed.  I was able to briefly get the Orbi running by jotting down the most recent IP address and gateway address from the Actiontec and copying them as a fixed IP address in the Orbi.  Obviously this is not a workable solution.  I can't seem to get the Orbi to connect using dynamic IP address.  The ONT is Motorola model ONT1000M3-OPT, and the service provider at the time it was installed was Fairpoint, who had recently taken over Verizon in my area.  Since then the ISP has changed over to Consolidated, but they have no useful information on their website (it doesn't even acknowledge the existence of fiber to the home connections, only DSL).

Is there any trick to getting the Orbi to run directly with the ONT, or is it necessary to keep the existing Actiontec box in between?  I've seen similar questions on the forum, but they had the Actiontec connected using Coax, and mine uses 10/100 Ethernet.

Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks.

- Gabor

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
nwaves
Guide

Re: Trying to ditch my Actiontec MI24WR and connect Orbi directly to the ONT

He doen't need to clone the MAC if he releases the WAN IP in the Actiontec. All he has to do is release the WAN IP, turn off the actiontec, pull the WAN cable from Actiontec and plug it into the Orbi and power on the Orbi. Set the Orbi to get the IP address for the WAN port by DCHP (dinamically) and that's it. Orbi will get a new IP and IP will change anytime Verizon changes IPs. Now, if at some point in time you want to swap the Orbi with another router and the Orbi can't release IP address (never touched one so I don't know if it's possible or not), then you can clone Orbi's MAC into the Actiontec and release  the WAN IP using the Actiontec, then proceed connecting the new router.

Oh and by the way, the correct model name for the Actiontec is MI424WR, not MI24WR.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Please check if your ISP requires authentication (user name and password) for the internet connection. This is probably why you can’t get DHCP to work.
Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Your Actiontec is needed to gain access to your ISP services.

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@gszakacs wrote:

I just bought an Orbi RBR20 router with a single RBW30 sattelite, and I'd like to replace my existing Actiontec router instead of going through it.  The Actiontec router is already connected to the ONT using Ethernet.  According to the existing router, it's getting its IP address using DHCP.  If I look at the address from time to time it changes, so it's clearly not fixed.  I was able to briefly get the Orbi running by jotting down the most recent IP address and gateway address from the Actiontec and copying them as a fixed IP address in the Orbi.  Obviously this is not a workable solution.  I can't seem to get the Orbi to connect using dynamic IP address.  The ONT is Motorola model ONT1000M3-OPT, and the service provider at the time it was installed was Fairpoint, who had recently taken over Verizon in my area.  Since then the ISP has changed over to Consolidated, but they have no useful information on their website (it doesn't even acknowledge the existence of fiber to the home connections, only DSL).

Is there any trick to getting the Orbi to run directly with the ONT, or is it necessary to keep the existing Actiontec box in between?  I've seen similar questions on the forum, but they had the Actiontec connected using Coax, and mine uses 10/100 Ethernet.

Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks.

- Gabor

Message 3 of 8
nwaves
Guide

You can connect a new router directly to the ONT only if you have internet coming to the house over Ethernet. Most FIOS installers run only Coax from ONT to the Actiontec if your speed is 100 Mbps or lower because it's faster: only one cable pull versus two cable pulls if they run both coax and ethernet. If  you do however have ethernet to the router, before you connect the new  router (doesn't matter what brand/model), with the WAN cable connected to the Actiontec, log in the Actiontec, go to the WAN connection settings and release the IP address (there's a Release button). That will unbind the MAC from the router from your account at FIOS and will allow any new router to get it's IP from verizon whenever it changes. This procedure needs to be used everytime you switch routers. If you run into a router that does not release IP address on the WAN (as I did with an Asus), the work around is to duplicate the Actiontec's MAC address as the WAN MAC in the router. That way, you can use the Actiontec to release the IP when needed. 

Message 4 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@nwaves wrote:

You can connect a new router directly to the ONT only if you have internet coming to the house over Ethernet. Most FIOS installers run only Coax from ONT to the Actiontec if your speed is 100 Mbps or lower because it's faster: only one cable pull versus two cable pulls if they run both coax and ethernet. If  you do however have ethernet to the router, before you connect the new  router (doesn't matter what brand/model), with the WAN cable connected to the Actiontec, log in the Actiontec, go to the WAN connection settings and release the IP address (there's a Release button). That will unbind the MAC from the router from your account at FIOS and will allow any new router to get it's IP from verizon whenever it changes. This procedure needs to be used everytime you switch routers. If you run into a router that does not release IP address on the WAN (as I did with an Asus), the work around is to duplicate the Actiontec's MAC address as the WAN MAC in the router. That way, you can use the Actiontec to release the IP when needed. 

Thanks @nwaves. That must be it!

@gszakacs If you can't release the IP address in the Actiontec as explained above by @nwaves, then you can clone the MAC address of the Actiontec in Orbi as follows:

Namnlöst.png

Message 5 of 8
nwaves
Guide

He doen't need to clone the MAC if he releases the WAN IP in the Actiontec. All he has to do is release the WAN IP, turn off the actiontec, pull the WAN cable from Actiontec and plug it into the Orbi and power on the Orbi. Set the Orbi to get the IP address for the WAN port by DCHP (dinamically) and that's it. Orbi will get a new IP and IP will change anytime Verizon changes IPs. Now, if at some point in time you want to swap the Orbi with another router and the Orbi can't release IP address (never touched one so I don't know if it's possible or not), then you can clone Orbi's MAC into the Actiontec and release  the WAN IP using the Actiontec, then proceed connecting the new router.

Oh and by the way, the correct model name for the Actiontec is MI424WR, not MI24WR.

Message 6 of 8
gszakacs
Initiate

Re: Trying to ditch my Actiontec MI424WR and connect Orbi directly to the ONT

Hi all,

First I want to thank all the people who responded so quickly.  It's nice to know that help is available when one needs it.  In the end the key was delving into the bowels of the advanced settings of the Actiontec MI424WR to find the "Release" button.  (And thanks for pointing out the model number - it's in a really small font on the unit).  After that the Orbi was able to connect automatically with no problems.

Regards,

Gabor

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Trying to ditch my Actiontec MI424WR and connect Orbi directly to the ONT

If you mark the question "Solved" it will let people know there was a satisfactory outcome.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7