× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

US to UK LBR20 Change

Jasongibbins
Aspirant

US to UK LBR20 Change

I have been relocated for work and am trying to get my Orbi LBR20 to work in the US. I have read many posts and I have been able to TelNet into the Orbi and change the location - but the LTE is still not working with the Thee sim card. I have updated the APN - but no luck. Any guiance or links to posts to resolve would be really appreciated. 

Model: LB1120|4G LTE Modem
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: US to UK LBR20 Change

You're using Thee? or Three (UK lte)

Have you tried a US plan/sim card setup?

Message 2 of 5
Jasongibbins
Aspirant

Sorry, I have a US model trying to get it working in the UK. Worked fine in the US, just won't pick up the SIM card. 

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Jasongibbins wrote:

Sorry, I have a US model trying to get it working in the UK. Worked fine in the US, just won't pick up the SIM card. 

The LBR20 Product DAta Sheet claims it works in the EU with bands LTE-FDD 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28 and LTE-TDD 38, 40, 41

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/LBR20.pdf 

Three Network claims to use bands 1, 3, 20, 32, n77, n78

https://3g.co.uk/guides/what-frequencies-does-three-network-use 

Three has a web site showing compatible devices.

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Device-Support/all-devices?manufacturer=&id=1666&ty=aff&aff_id=337&li... 

When I click on Mobile Broadband Devices, there are none from Netgear.

It appears (to me) that you may need to look at a different phone company.

(Also, I have no idea what the difference is between LTE-FDD and LTE-TDD.  Time for Google?)

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Jasongibbins wrote:

The LBR20 Product DAta Sheet claims it works in the EU with bands ...

As with all Netgear products, different SKUs are in place for the different markets. The US version is the LBR20-100NAS, the EU version is the LBR20-100EUS, ...

On one hand, we can assume the US version does - just like the common WiFi- and Mesh-routers - not allow to change the region settings thanks to the strict FCC regulatory requirements one might guess. 

On the other hand The mobile chipset vendors are paid based on the number of bands enabled. This does make it unattractive to build "worldwide" versions of mobile network products if not required for traveling or mobility reasons. Such differentiators even exists on mobile phones, which are localized, and only come with select bands for global travel usage.

Granted, this does not explain why some mobile network provider SIM are not recognized in certain products - this is another story.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7