Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to change DNS, router NOT in AP mode.

ThePere
Aspirant

Unable to change DNS, router NOT in AP mode.

Howdy folks. Some background: Set up Orbi network this morning from scratch (long story, sons wanted to stay up later playing Overwatch, so.. yeah).  Anyway, part of the process on initial setup is to check and update firmware.  I'm now on V2.3.5.26 and now there is a new "A Security" chicklet on main admin page.

I am fond of using alternate DNS services (mostly to avoid the outages we've seen from my ISP DNS services).  Under Advanced > Internet Setup, "Get Automatically from ISP" is the only option. I am no longer able to input alternate DNS server IP addresses. The option to "Use These DNS Servers" is greyed out.

How can I input OpenDNS, 1.1.1.1 or Google DNS?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Armor and Circle seem to take over control of DNS when enabled. Thanks for letting us know.

Please mark your thread post as solved so others will know.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You can set DNS if you go back into Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Router-AP mode. When you select on AP icon, the next screen will show the configuration for AP mode. Select the Use Static IP address assignment. Here you can input the iP address the AP will use, router gateway and there is two sections for two DNS. Here you can input DNS that you'd like the AP to use. Save the setting.

Message 2 of 10
ThePere
Aspirant

Thanks for reply!  Seems custom DNS is ONLY an option if I choose "Use Static IP".  If "Get dynamically from ISP" is selected, the ability to edit DNS servers is disabled.  I don't recall that, and I'm not confident my ISP won't rotate out my IP address at a whim. 

Still wondering if something changed with new firmware.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

If you factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch iwth out the RBR connected to the modem, can you edit the DNS option?

What browser are you using to manage the RBRs web page?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem or router in front of the RBR?

Message 4 of 10
ThePere
Aspirant

This is third time I've tried to post answers to our question.  Sigh, been one of those days.

• Modem is alcatel, can't see model, for a fibre drop.
  • Interesting thought on booting Orbi without cat5 to modem, think ISP is pushing some sort of limitation?  Scary and annoying if so.
  • Browser is Chrome, Version 76.0.3809.100

Thanks again for the brainshare!

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@ThePere wrote:

I am fond of using alternate DNS services (mostly to avoid the outages we've seen from my ISP DNS services).  Under Advanced > Internet Setup, "Get Automatically from ISP" is the only option. I am no longer able to input alternate DNS server IP addresses. The option to "Use These DNS Servers" is greyed out.

I seem to recall an issue recently where Disney Circle was activated (or was it Armor?), and it took away the ability to specify alternate DNS servers.  I know this issue of "greyed out" was the specific problem.  Not sure what search terms to use, but you might try to find that thread.

Message 6 of 10
ThePere
Aspirant

Boom! Circle was enabled first time through. Left it dormant second time through. Was able to set DNS servers. Will let you know if custom DNS sticks if/when I enable.

Thanks again for riding shotgun!
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Armor and Circle seem to take over control of DNS when enabled. Thanks for letting us know.

Please mark your thread post as solved so others will know.

Message 8 of 10
ThePere
Aspirant

Quick update.  I enabled Circle and the custom settings for DNS have not only stuck, the opion to make subsequent changes exists.  So, before you enable Circle, make sure you decide to go with ISP delivered DNS or your own selections.  I mean, assuming that was the culprit of course.

Thanks all.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know how that works. Glad it's working now. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7