Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to get RBR50 to work as router with Draytek 130 modem

eye-eye
Aspirant

Unable to get RBR50 to work as router with Draytek 130 modem

Hi 

I was having problems with DHCP on my BT Smart-hub 6 so I bought a Draytek 130 to act as a modem and use the Orbi as a router. I have upgraded to latest Draytek firmware  and confirmed the broadband is being received at the modem. Unfortunately I can't seem to get the router to log in. I have tried combinations of bthomehub@btbroadband.com with password 'bt' and without. All the other settings on the router appear to be automatic and the modem is set to just do that function.

What am I missing?

Model: CATRBR50-100NAS|Orbi Premium CAT5e Flat Ethernet Cable
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the HUB6 have a DMZ? If it does, you can use this for the RBR and configure router mode if you want to use the Orbi in router mode with the HUB6. 

@eye-eye wrote:

Just the Draytek. Left the Orbi as an AP. Turned off the Wi-fi on the Hub6

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try powering OFF the modem AND RBR for 1 minute then back ON with the modem then RBR...

Be sure your using good quality LAN cables. CAT6 is recommended. 

Contact the ISP and or the modems mfr for additional help and support regarding there product. 

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@eye-eye wrote:

I have tried combinations of bthomehub@btbroadband.com with password 'bt' and without. All the other settings on the router appear to be automatic and the modem is set to just do that function.

I agree that the next step is to contact BT and inform them you have replaced their smart hub 6 with the Draytek.  Every cable system has its own unique aspects. Some use DHCP to hand out IP addresses to modems. Some use PPPoE which requires a user name and password for access.  Some need to register the modem to your account. Others will let you change the modem on your own.

Perhaps some forum member is familiar with BT and can offer advice, but there is no predicting when (or if) they will notice your post.

I would call BT.

Message 3 of 9
eye-eye
Aspirant

Hi Guys

Thanks for the input. I contacted BT and they said it should work. Draytek said set up using PC to see if it was working. Did as instructed and couldn't access internet, so returned to Amazon before return limit time expired. Shame really but I didn't want to be left with what appears to be a malfunctioning box.

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@eye-eye wrote:

Hi Guys

Thanks for the input. I contacted BT and they said it should work. Draytek said set up using PC to see if it was working. Did as instructed and couldn't access internet, so returned to Amazon before return limit time expired. Shame really but I didn't want to be left with what appears to be a malfunctioning box.

Which went back: Orbi or Draytek?  (or both?)

Message 5 of 9
eye-eye
Aspirant

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the HUB6 have a DMZ? If it does, you can use this for the RBR and configure router mode if you want to use the Orbi in router mode with the HUB6. 

@eye-eye wrote:

Message 7 of 9
eye-eye
Aspirant

Sounds interesting. I will try this later. Never had to use DMZ before. It will still be behind the hub 6 firewall but hopefully that shouldn't cause issues. 
Thanks for that solution

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

When in the DMZ, the orbi won't be behind the firewall at the HUB6. However thats ok as the Orbi has a built in firewall already so it will take over when in the DMZ. This is expected. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7