Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to update or download iOS apps from the Apple AppStore, use iCloud or device settings.

jannymark
Tutor

Unable to update or download iOS apps from the Apple AppStore, use iCloud or device settings.

Has great trouble installing this attached to Plusnet Hub One.

I cannot downlad or update iOS apps or system updates. I cannot use iCloud. Device settings requiring data download do not update.

In addition the BBC News app doesn't update.

The problem only exists when I use the the Orbi Network. All is fine using mobile data or another WiFi network.

Also, as other people have reported the Orbi intrenet status is Offline but I definetely have internet connection.

Plusnet ISP, Plusnet Hub One, RBK23, FW 2.1.4.10, iOS 11.4

Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Unable to update or download iOS apps from the Apple AppStore, use iCloud or device settings.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 17
jannymark
Tutor

Ok - so far so good.
1 hour of without failure of WIFi and /or internetl connection.

However, the BBC News app still won’t update.
The AppStore still refuses to update and download apps.

Any clues please?
Message 3 of 17
jannymark
Tutor

I should probably add that I used the DMZ solution and the Orbi App still says that I am offline.
Message 4 of 17
jannymark
Tutor

Further iOS apps that do not work
Golf Weather won’t update
TuneIn Radio won’t stream
All4 won’t stream or download
YouView schedule don’t update
Apple Music
LPGA Now
90 Min
National Team Competitions
BBC News won’t update
ICatcher won’t download podcasts
M&S
Rightmove
MedPulse

As such they all behave as if they have no internet connection.

Please help

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

And did you set up a IP addresss reservation ON the modem for the adresss the Orbi gets from the modem? 

Is this same IP address placed in the modems DMZ? 

I presume the Orbi is in router mode and connected to the Modem via yellow WAN port in back? 

What is the address of the DNS seen on the Orbi router? Try manual DNS set for 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9, apply and reboot both router and test device. 

Message 6 of 17
joshmv
Initiate

Guys I've been having this same problem. Set up my DMZ to the IP the modem gave to my Orbi and deactivated both bands on the modem. Still can't use the services that were mentioned before (Apple Music, App Store, etc). And on my Orbi app it still tells me my router is offline (Even though the internet works for most things).

@FURRYe38 wrote:

And did you set up a IP addresss reservation ON the modem for the adresss the Orbi gets from the modem? 

I'm not sure how to do this. I set up a DHCP static lease for my Orbi with the IP that my modem gave to it, is that the same thing?

Thanks in advance

Message 7 of 17
joshmv
Initiate

Nevermind, this worked:

Try manual DNS set for 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9. 

Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@joshmv wrote:

Nevermind, this worked:

Try manual DNS set for 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9. 

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progess on this?

@jannymark wrote:
Further iOS apps that do not work
Golf Weather won’t update
TuneIn Radio won’t stream
All4 won’t stream or download
YouView schedule don’t update
Apple Music
LPGA Now
90 Min
National Team Competitions
BBC News won’t update
ICatcher won’t download podcasts
M&S
Rightmove
MedPulse

As such they all behave as if they have no internet connection.

Please help

Message 10 of 17
Big_Russ
Aspirant

Guys, Please help, and you will need to spoon feed me the info, as I am not that computer savy. Just installed a brand new modem. A Model CM500V voice cable modem by Netgear. It is plugged in to a Linksys SE3016 switch. My Mac Pro is plugged in to that switch via eithernet. All works just fine. I connected a brand new Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 Router for WiFi. I can switch my Mac Pro to WiFi and all is fine, just a tad bit slower than on eithernet. I use the log in provided on the top of the new router. I log in with my IOS devices, all of them, and can't connect to the App store. Looking at the lights, the second light is on constant yellow/orange. I think this means there is no internet connection. It is plugged in directly to the Linksys switch. So it the Mac Pro which talks to the internet while plugged in to this switch. Being creative, I just plugged in the cable modem directly to the new Nighthawk X4S. Same problem, the second ligth is orange/yellow ish and no internet connection via wifi. So how do I get my brand new Netgear CM500V modem to talk to my brand new Nighthawk X4S? When connected to www.routerlogin.net I said automatic setup, and I get the correct error message that I am not connected to the internet. Any ideas to help?

Message 11 of 17
Big_Russ
Aspirant

Hi guys, just an update. Still not working, but by typing in http://192.168.1.1/ while connected by wifi I can get to the Netgear Geine and look at the unit. I have played around with settings, but nothing seems to work. Even got so desperate as to try an eithernet crossover cable. At any rate, I can get to the unit, but it alsways shows no internet connetion and the internet is AMBER in color. I can't even load the APP becaue I need internet to get to the APP store. Oh, and in the web page that come up at http://192.168.1.1/ I changed to manual IP address and set the DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 to try anything. Looking forward to some ideas. Thanks. Russ

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to post this here in the NightHawk forum for the R7800:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

You should directly connect the R7800 to the ISP modem, then out the Linksys switch AFTER the R7800 router. 

I would reset the R7800 and walk thru the setup wizard after powering OFF The iSP modem for 30 seconds then back on.

Good Luck. 

@Big_Russ wrote:

Guys, Please help, and you will need to spoon feed me the info, as I am not that computer savy. Just installed a brand new modem. A Model CM500V voice cable modem by Netgear. It is plugged in to a Linksys SE3016 switch. My Mac Pro is plugged in to that switch via eithernet. All works just fine. I connected a brand new Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 Router for WiFi. I can switch my Mac Pro to WiFi and all is fine, just a tad bit slower than on eithernet. I use the log in provided on the top of the new router. I log in with my IOS devices, all of them, and can't connect to the App store. Looking at the lights, the second light is on constant yellow/orange. I think this means there is no internet connection. It is plugged in directly to the Linksys switch. So it the Mac Pro which talks to the internet while plugged in to this switch. Being creative, I just plugged in the cable modem directly to the new Nighthawk X4S. Same problem, the second ligth is orange/yellow ish and no internet connection via wifi. So how do I get my brand new Netgear CM500V modem to talk to my brand new Nighthawk X4S? When connected to www.routerlogin.net I said automatic setup, and I get the correct error message that I am not connected to the internet. Any ideas to help?

Message 13 of 17
randomousity
Luminary

Try changing your setup. It sounds like you have it as coaxial cable from the wall (jack, floor, etc.) > CM500V modem > Linksys SE3016 switch > Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 Router. Is this correct?

Assuming so, I think your issue is that you have the switch between your modem and your router. Having it set up this way, you are basically connecting everything plugged into you switch directly to your ISP, and you probably only get one IP address, so there aren't enough to go around. For practical purposes, your Nighthawk router is the delineation between your network and their (the ISP's) network. So, you plugged your switch into their network, and are trying to connect multiple devices to it (your router, your laptop, etc.), despite only being entitled to have one connection.

Try connecting your Nighthawk's yellow internet port to the modem's yellow ethernet port, and then plug your switch into one of the four numbered ports on the Nighthawk, and then plug in any other devices to any of the remaining unused Nighthawk numbered ports or unused switch ports. Also, once you have everything connected properly, unplug the power from both your modem and router, and then plug the modem in, and then plug your router in.

PS - This is an Orbi board, not Nighthawk one, though yours seems to just be a general issue.

Message 14 of 17
Big_Russ
Aspirant

OK, what part of U R THE MAN!!!!! can I say best! Swaped to exactly the way you said, Modem, Router, THEN switch. All clear lights!!!! That did it. Thanks so much! I have been fighting this problem for hours. Now to start playing with it.

Message 15 of 17
randomousity
Luminary

Glad I could help.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7