Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Updating firmware process?

thuynhj
Aspirant

Updating firmware process?

Is it recommended to update the firmware through the Orbi app or should I do it manually?

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Updating firmware process?

@thuynhj wrote:

Is it recommended to update the firmware through the Orbi app or should I do it manually?

"recommended"?  Ha!

The general consensus is that the Orbi 'app' is not highly respected (on the forum).  What happens to to the thousands of customers who never come to the forum is perhaps another matter.

I can't speak for others, but my opinion is....

• Ignore the 'app'.
  • When new firmware suddenly appears on the Netgear support site.  Avoid it like the plague.
  • Wait at least 4-6 weeks for "early adopters" to install the new firmware and report, "Oh, s**t.  My system is now....."
  • When the firmware finally appears on the Orbi web interface (or the app) "Firmware Update Available", look at the Release Notes and consider, "does this appear to be beneficial to me?"
  • If there are no horrible negative reports, use the Orbi web interface Firmware Update to update the firmware.

Thousands of customers pay no attention to what firmware is on their systems.  They have"things to do".  At some point, Netgear may force a firmware update during the night, and they will never know.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@thuynhj wrote:

"recommended"?  Ha!

The general consensus is that the Orbi 'app' is not highly respected (on the forum).  What happens to to the thousands of customers who never come to the forum is perhaps another matter.

I can't speak for others, but my opinion is....

• Ignore the 'app'.
  • When new firmware suddenly appears on the Netgear support site.  Avoid it like the plague.
  • Wait at least 4-6 weeks for "early adopters" to install the new firmware and report, "Oh, s**t.  My system is now....."
  • When the firmware finally appears on the Orbi web interface (or the app) "Firmware Update Available", look at the Release Notes and consider, "does this appear to be beneficial to me?"
  • If there are no horrible negative reports, use the Orbi web interface Firmware Update to update the firmware.

Thousands of customers pay no attention to what firmware is on their systems.  They have"things to do".  At some point, Netgear may force a firmware update during the night, and they will never know.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

The reason the app and wireless isn't recommended on here is when we see corrupt firmware issues, it tends to be from users who automatically updated or did it over wireless. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7