Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrade from RBR40/RBS20 to RBK50

mark47150
Aspirant

Upgrade from RBR40/RBS20 to RBK50

• I bought 3 x RBK50 V2 from Walmart (total of 3 routers and 3 satellites) for $270 total. I understand this will make a 1 router and 3 satellite system. These items can still be returned.
  • I currently have an 1 x RBR40 and 4 x RBS20 in my oversized ranch with a basement. This system runs great and supports 85 devices ranging from streaming sticks in 4k to gaming to smart home and does so with little hiccup.
  • Bottom line, does the $270 I paid for the 3 x RBK50 V2 upgrade justify any speed or future proofing if my existing system performs fine or should I return them and save for next-gen gear?

TIA

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Upgrade from RBR40/RBS20 to RBK50

The main differences between the 40 and 50 series is the wifi backhaul speed support of 866 vs 1733Mpbs. Some minor memory in the HW differences that you won't notice. They both support current wift AC modes and have nothing new in regards to wifi AX modes or wifi 6 so your not really doing any future proofing by getting the 50 series. To future proof some, you'd be looking at something that has AX mode support. If your current system is working, I'd keep it and look at something down the line as Wifi features and spec changes ever so often. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

The main differences between the 40 and 50 series is the wifi backhaul speed support of 866 vs 1733Mpbs. Some minor memory in the HW differences that you won't notice. They both support current wift AC modes and have nothing new in regards to wifi AX modes or wifi 6 so your not really doing any future proofing by getting the 50 series. To future proof some, you'd be looking at something that has AX mode support. If your current system is working, I'd keep it and look at something down the line as Wifi features and spec changes ever so often. 

Message 2 of 6
mark47150
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38 and kudos.

I opened one of the packs so that my son could have a dedicated RBS50 hardwired to his gaming PC which greatly reduced some lag issues he was having. Should I swap the remaining RBR50 from that pack with the RBR40 I have already installed? Is it as simple as setting the RBR50 up with the same SSID and password as the RBR40?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can use same SSID name and PW if you want to migrate to the 50 series of course. I do this as well when I bring on a new system. I set it up off line. When that is ready to go, I'll connect the router to the ISP modem and power on the new router, reboot the ISB modem, leave the out going router left ON, and when the new router is ON and ready, just turn OFF the out going router and all my wifi devices auto migrate and connect to the new router. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Message 4 of 6
mark47150
Aspirant

I really appreciate it 🙂

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 6 of 6