Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use ORBI with existing SSID

AlexH2018
Aspirant

Use ORBI with existing SSID

Hi-

Stupid question, but I was anticipating default function for the Orbi would be to extend an exiting SSID versus have a new SSID.  I need to keep my existing SSID to avoid having to set up a number of devices to new SSID and also reconfiguring my wife's timemachine backup server.  Is there any way to set the Orbi up to extend the existing SSID?

Thanks!

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Use ORBI with existing SSID

Are you asking if orbi can make a existing router into a mesh network?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
budy
Luminary

Betreff: Use ORBI with existing SSID

I don't know, what your issue is. I have exchanged my old WiFI/SSID with the Orbi serving the same SSID - so change on any client necessary. You will have to turn of your old WLAN at one point in the process, but that's all.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 7
tsig
Luminary

I changed the SSID and password on the Orbi to what it was on my old router, turned the wireless off of the old router, and everything connected and worked as expected (except for my wireless HP printer).

Message 4 of 7
AlexH2018
Aspirant

Thanks I will try this tonight...

Message 5 of 7
setham
Star

Hi, 

There are no stupid questions.

You can go to the admin interface for the Orbit http://<your-ip>/ and to the Basic->Wireless Menu and update the SSID and password to your existing WiFi.

If you are replacing your router this should be all, if you are using the Orbi system as AP you might want to consider turning off your existing router WiFi.

wrote:

Hi-

Stupid question, but I was anticipating default function for the Orbi would be to extend an exiting SSID versus have a new SSID.  I need to keep my existing SSID to avoid having to set up a number of devices to new SSID and also reconfiguring my wife's timemachine backup server.  Is there any way to set the Orbi up to extend the existing SSID?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 7
AlexH2018
Aspirant

thanks, managed to completely wreck the orbi setup and I need to factory restore and start over

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7