Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use an RBR20 as an Access Point without connecting via ethernet?

DaveElisa
Aspirant

Use an RBR20 as an Access Point without connecting via ethernet?

I bought an Orbi router (RBR40) and single satellite system. It's connected via ethernet to my cable modem, which does not have wifi. I installed the satellite upstairs but the FireTV, iPhones, Alexa, etc. seem to be needing more wifi bandwidth. I went into the local Best Buy and talked with a network guy there and he recommended buying an additional Orbi router/satellite combo and setting up the second router (RBR20) as an Access point. From reading the forums here it seems that it is possible, but only if the RBR20 AP is connected to the RBR40 (router) via ethernet. 

Is there a way to provide a strong wifi signal (stronger than satellite) without using ethernet? My other options are Orbi for business, eero, etc. I'd prefer to use the Orbi gear that I have but I'm starting to think the guy at Best Buy made it sound as if it would do something it won't do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-dave

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Use an RBR20 as an Access Point without connecting via ethernet?

How big is your home? SqFt?

Depending, you may not need another satellite?

Are you experiencing areas of your home with low or no wifi signal?

What is the distance between the router and current satellite? 30 feet is a start for distances between the router and satellite.

Message 2 of 5
st_shaw
Master

@DaveElisa wrote:

I bought an Orbi router (RBR40) and single satellite system. It's connected via ethernet to my cable modem, which does not have wifi. I installed the satellite upstairs but the FireTV, iPhones, Alexa, etc. seem to be needing more wifi bandwidth. I went into the local Best Buy and talked with a network guy there and he recommended buying an additional Orbi router/satellite combo and setting up the second router (RBR20) as an Access point. From reading the forums here it seems that it is possible, but only if the RBR20 AP is connected to the RBR40 (router) via ethernet. 

Is there a way to provide a strong wifi signal (stronger than satellite) without using ethernet? My other options are Orbi for business, eero, etc. I'd prefer to use the Orbi gear that I have but I'm starting to think the guy at Best Buy made it sound as if it would do something it won't do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-dave

Yes, access point mode requires a wired connection.

You should be able to add additional RBS40 satelites to your existing system.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Orbi-Satellite-network-Add/dp/B06XKWJ679/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=15312...

Message 3 of 5
DaveElisa
Aspirant

Hi Furry,

Thanks for the reply. My home is an older split level, the router is on the middle floor, the spotty wifi signal is on the first and third floors. From what I understand, the satellites amplify the signal they receive and don't really provide signal strength as strong as an AP or another router. If I bring the satellite closer to my router, it'll get a stronger signal, but it'll have to send it farther than it does in its current location. 

It's not an easy task for me to add ethernet upstairs, but if the second router can be set up as an AP and would provide a stronger wifi signal then I'd run the wiring, drill through the walls, etc. to fix the wifi signal issues.

Message 4 of 5
st_shaw
Master

@DaveElisa 

From what I understand, the satellites amplify the signal they receive and don't really provide signal strength as strong as an AP or another router. If I bring the satellite closer to my router, it'll get a stronger signal, but it'll have to send it farther than it does in its current location. 

The satellites do not amplify the signal.  They provide a full WiFi signal to the clients, and relay the data back the router on a separate dedicated backhaul radio separate from the client radio.

See my comment above about adding additional satellites. This is the easiest way to add coverage, provided you can put the router in a central location.

You may also be able to use daisy-chained satellites, but some report this doesn't work reliably for them.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7