Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using Ethernet port on satellite disconnects it

Jasonsch69
Aspirant

Using Ethernet port on satellite disconnects it

I have been using the Ethernet port on one of the satellites to connect a U-verse wireless receiver via Ethernet for a few months with no issues. I went on vacation and came back the U-verse box was offline. I attempted to reboot and when I did the satellite Orbi went offline. Tried rebooting orbi, would not reconnect to router over wireless backhaul unless I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the back.
No Ethernet— all good wireless backhaul
Ethernet connected- no good. As if it’s trying to do an Ethernet backhaul. Tried both orbi satellites, same issue. Have not tried another wired device but tried 2 different receivers.
Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 16
randomousity
Luminary

Re: Using Ethernet port on satellite disconnects it

Something about the firmware seems to make it so the satellite won't sync with the router when it comes on if there are any devices connected with ethernet to the satellite. Basically, any time you power cycle the satellite, lose power, add a new satellite, etc., you'll have to disconnect anything from your satellite(s), wait for them to boot and sync, then connect the cables back. Once they'e booted and synced, you should be able to reconnect any wired devices with no problem.

Message 2 of 16
Chuck_M
Mentor

What is Daisy Chain option marked as?  Try disabling that if checked.

Message 3 of 16
Jasonsch69
Aspirant

Unchecked daisy chain. Same issue.
Message 4 of 16
Chuck_M
Mentor

Are you using IPV6 there?

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Besure your using a good quality LAN cable between satellite and device. CAT6 is recommended. 

@Jasonsch69 wrote:
I have been using the Ethernet port on one of the satellites to connect a U-verse wireless receiver via Ethernet for a few months with no issues. I went on vacation and came back the U-verse box was offline. I attempted to reboot and when I did the satellite Orbi went offline. Tried rebooting orbi, would not reconnect to router over wireless backhaul unless I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the back.
No Ethernet— all good wireless backhaul
Ethernet connected- no good. As if it’s trying to do an Ethernet backhaul. Tried both orbi satellites, same issue. Have not tried another wired device but tried 2 different receivers.

Message 6 of 16
Jasonsch69
Aspirant

No
Message 7 of 16
Jasonsch69
Aspirant

I am running in AP mode. Backhaul signal is showing good for both satellites on 5ghz. All is running great until I try to connect the uverse box vis ethernet. Once I connect, the satellite led turns purple, then blue and then the internet goes offline on the router. If I disconnect the ethernet again and reboot the satellite all is good again. Using att bgw520 as router and DHCP provider connected to wan port on orbi router.
Message 8 of 16
Jasonsch69
Aspirant

I'm going to factory reset all 3 orbi devices and start over.
Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

You might try option #2...

@Jasonsch69 wrote:
I am running in AP mode. Backhaul signal is showing good for both satellites on 5ghz. All is running great until I try to connect the uverse box vis ethernet. Once I connect, the satellite led turns purple, then blue and then the internet goes offline on the router. If I disconnect the ethernet again and reboot the satellite all is good again. Using att bgw520 as router and DHCP provider connected to wan port on orbi router.

Message 10 of 16
Jasonsch69
Aspirant

It's not a double nat. All devices including router and satellites have an private ip assigned via att modem DHCP. Again. This was all working fine before I went on vacation. Some power event caused devices to reboot. Not sure what order everything came up but seems to have created this condition.
Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I know, I was posting so you could try option #2 if you wanted. 

Hope the reset fixes it. Let us know how it goes. 

@Jasonsch69 wrote:
It's not a double nat. All devices including router and satellites have an private ip assigned via att modem DHCP. Again. This was all working fine before I went on vacation. Some power event caused devices to reboot. Not sure what order everything came up but seems to have created this condition.

Message 12 of 16
Jasonsch69
Aspirant

So laptop is working fine connected to ethernet. Problems lies with uverse boxes. For some reason box can no longer connect to uverse service via wired ethernet on satellite even though it gets an IP address(was working ok for 2 months) Appears to be defaulting back to wireless (normal behavior with these boxes) which then causes a routing "loop" that makes satellite think it's a backhaul connection.
Unfortunately wireless does not work due to multicast issues.
Will try to troubleshoot why wired doesn't work anymore. May be a latency issue or recent firmware update on uverse boxes.
Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Test these boxes while directly connected to the Orbi router to see if they work there. 

@Jasonsch69 wrote:
So laptop is working fine connected to ethernet. Problems lies with uverse boxes. For some reason box can no longer connect to uverse service via wired ethernet on satellite even though it gets an IP address(was working ok for 2 months) Appears to be defaulting back to wireless (normal behavior with these boxes) which then causes a routing "loop" that makes satellite think it's a backhaul connection.
Unfortunately wireless does not work due to multicast issues.
Will try to troubleshoot why wired doesn't work anymore. May be a latency issue or recent firmware update on uverse boxes.

Message 14 of 16
Jasonsch69
Aspirant

So here is my attempt to describe what I believe was happening. I found this by trial and error with resetting all my U-verse equipment. After I did a factory reset of my U-verse gateway and a full reboot of my dvr I was still having the issue. I then tried a factory reset of the wireless receiver and got stuck in a loop. So I shut down all of my orbi gear and was finally able to restore the receiver while connected hardwired to U-verse gateway. I then brought main orbi router back online and was able to reboot receiver and still worked. During this time I noticed that the receiver will NOT show WiFi signal bars on front if connected via Ethernet. So I then tried to bring the orbi satellite back online and hook up receiver via wired port on satellite. Same issue again but it showed it was connected wireless however I had not performed wps setup after factory reset. ( very strange)
So I tried to hook receiver back to U-verse gateway and factory reset but would not reset again(kept showing WiFi connection) until I shut down all orbi again and I also had to reboot the U-verse gateway.
I began to realize that if I had the orbi satellite online the receiver would connect wirelessly after a full factory reset. This testing also made me realize that every time I tried to hook up the receiver via satellite Ethernet port it was also connecting to the satellite wirelessly. This seemed to cause the gateway to block the receiver from connecting. (Routing loop or asymmetrical routing. My guess is when I first got back from vacation and the box was not connected I must have wps paired it to the satellite. Even if I factory reset the receiver, the satellite had the wps data and was causing the receiver to connect back????? I have never really researched the wps process.
So I decided to shut down orbi, factory reset receiver, and then Wps connect it to the original att WAP.
So I now have the receiver working wirelessly in the original att wap and all the orbi gear online.
I did a full factory reset on the satellite. Next step is to shut down att wap and try the wired port on satellite again. But not tonight. I am done.
Message 15 of 16
ekhalil
Master

@Jasonsch69 wrote:
So here is my attempt to describe what I believe was happening. I found this by trial and error with resetting all my U-verse equipment. After I did a factory reset of my U-verse gateway and a full reboot of my dvr I was still having the issue. I then tried a factory reset of the wireless receiver and got stuck in a loop. So I shut down all of my orbi gear and was finally able to restore the receiver while connected hardwired to U-verse gateway. I then brought main orbi router back online and was able to reboot receiver and still worked. During this time I noticed that the receiver will NOT show WiFi signal bars on front if connected via Ethernet. So I then tried to bring the orbi satellite back online and hook up receiver via wired port on satellite. Same issue again but it showed it was connected wireless however I had not performed wps setup after factory reset. ( very strange)
So I tried to hook receiver back to U-verse gateway and factory reset but would not reset again(kept showing WiFi connection) until I shut down all orbi again and I also had to reboot the U-verse gateway.
I began to realize that if I had the orbi satellite online the receiver would connect wirelessly after a full factory reset. This testing also made me realize that every time I tried to hook up the receiver via satellite Ethernet port it was also connecting to the satellite wirelessly. This seemed to cause the gateway to block the receiver from connecting. (Routing loop or asymmetrical routing. My guess is when I first got back from vacation and the box was not connected I must have wps paired it to the satellite. Even if I factory reset the receiver, the satellite had the wps data and was causing the receiver to connect back????? I have never really researched the wps process.
So I decided to shut down orbi, factory reset receiver, and then Wps connect it to the original att WAP.
So I now have the receiver working wirelessly in the original att wap and all the orbi gear online.
I did a full factory reset on the satellite. Next step is to shut down att wap and try the wired port on satellite again. But not tonight. I am done.

Good conclusion.

Any device can only be connected to the same network with either a wireless or a wired interface but not both otherwise IP loops will be created and the system will start behaving in a strange way. One possible impact would be the LAN ports get blocked as it happens in your case.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7