× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using the default Orbi SSID and network key?

emperorwal
Tutor

Using the default Orbi SSID and network key?

I set up my first Orbi network yesterday. I wanted a new SSID and key for my home, so I retired the old SSID with my old router. The Orbi setup phone app recommended using the preset wireless settings for SSID and key that came with the device. So, I did this. I am using the preset values.

It feels odd to not change the preset password. It feels insecure. 

How big a pool of preset network keys are there? Is the preset key really not easily guessed? Is there any article or FAQ that descirbes this?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
vajim
Master

@emperorwal wrote:

I set up my first Orbi network yesterday. I wanted a new SSID and key for my home, so I retired the old SSID with my old router. The Orbi setup phone app recommended using the preset wireless settings for SSID and key that came with the device. So, I did this. I am using the preset values.

It feels odd to not change the preset password. It feels insecure. 

How big a pool of preset network keys are there? Is the preset key really not easily guessed? Is there any article or FAQ that descirbes this?

Sounds like you're using the app?  I recommend login to your Orbi via a PC.

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@emperorwal wrote:

I have never seen anything describing the method used to create the WiFi passwords.  If you are concerned, the password is easy to change.  I would do it sooner rather than later.  As the house fills up with WiFi devices, changing the WiFi password becomes more and more laborious.

I would also give some thought to changing the WiFi name as well.  My practice has been to use the same WiFi name/password on each new WiFi system. (a) All of my WiFi devices connect immediately to the new WiFi, and (b) if I decide to "go back" to the previous WiFi system, all of my devices will connect immediately without reconfiguring.  Makes like a lot easier.  Years from now, having your WiFi named ORBIxx may seem odd when you have an Asus or Eero system.

Message 3 of 7
emperorwal
Tutor

Good advice. Thanks. Yes, I spent a few hours yesterday reseting various wifi devices. I'm not rushing to do it again, but your suggestions are sound. Maybe in a week or two I'll update it all. 

Message 4 of 7
emperorwal
Tutor

One thing to keep in mind when thinking about security, the default SSID and key are printed on the bottome of every unit. It isn't a very well kept secret. Anyone in your house can peek and learn your network key.

That alone is probably good reason to change from the defaults.

Message 5 of 7
vajim
Master

@emperorwal wrote:

One thing to keep in mind when thinking about security, the default SSID and key are printed on the bottome of every unit. It isn't a very well kept secret. Anyone in your house can peek and learn your network key.

That alone is probably good reason to change from the defaults.

true...however except perhaps in the case of kids(?) if you have to worry about someone in your family getting into your network, you may have bigger problems than you thinkj

Message 6 of 7
emperorwal
Tutor

Well, a plumber comes in with his sketchy apprentice.... and you never met my brother-in-law 😉

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7