Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

V1.12.0.18 still having disconnect issues

madbrain
Luminary

Re: V1.12.0.18 still having disconnect issues

@cyberprashant wrote:

@madbrain wrote:

@cyberprashant wrote:

@madbrain wrote:

@esiebert7625 wrote:

fyi if you manually downgrade it won't auto upgrade back to a higher version, mine just has the message saying the update is available

That is simply not correct. After a few days to a week, it will auto-upgrade to the latest again.

A few of us have sucessfully blocked it.  Not sure what the magic was (it took several tries I know) --> I have 2 orbi systems both downgraded now over 3 weeks ago firmly stuck on 1.11.0.20 (confirmed).  It does show every time that an upgrade is available (resist clicking it). .   The key here was there is a router ahead of the orbi (orbi WAN , connected to lan port of old r7000) - that router ahead has downloads.netgear.com blocked.   That block has to be in place before the downgrade.    

Agree - way too complicated and frustrating tho - not sure why netgear does not have a way to disable this. 

That is my exact setup - R7000 as router, Orbi WAN connected to R7000 LAN port.

Blocking downloads.netgear.com in the R7000 did not work for me. I had no less than 4 automatic upgrades to the latest in this configuration. All my attempts at preventing upgrade failed.

Last time I had an auto upgrade, and I did a manual firmware rollback, my Orbi router got bricked. I got a replacement from Netgear monday. Right now, all running the latest firmware since then without satellite dropoff issue yet, knocking on wood ...

ah sorry to hear it keeps upgrading.  But if its stable knock on wood and hopefully they say an update is coming soon.  BTW: when I browse to downloads.netgear.com on a PC connected to the orbi I get this:  http: // downloads.netgear.com/ --> Invalid URL 

Invalid URL

The requested URL "/", is invalid.

Reference #9.7655e68.1503637424.44fe4e2

THis tells me the block is in place.   See if you are getting that.   The stupid thing is super fast at upgrading post-downgrade so post-downgrade (for whcih ideally u have the files for 1.11.0.20 saved on your PC, disconnect orbi from the internet (wan port) and then issue the telnet commands quickly and only after you are sure you have successfully downgraded and issued the correct telnet commands with the committ statement reconnect WAN port.    

Even still i think it took several tries.  This is more than anyone really needs to be doing netgear so pls get the update out SOON!

I removed my block in the R7000 for now. And yes I have the 1.11.0.20 firmware saved up on a local PC.

I think I may really have been running into the problem with space in the password.

I setup the Orbi router with no space in the passphrase (only characters, actually). Made it a hidden SSID (not broadcasting).

Used the SSID / password that all my devices are setup for as "guest network". Everything working fine for 3 days so far, no satellite drops. I think this is longer than I ever had it work before with 1.12.0.18 firmware.

Message 26 of 32
mboyce
Aspirant

I am having the same issues. New Orbi RBR50 and satellite installed Sunday 9/3 and had disconnects within first hour. Have not timed the intervals, but happens multiple times per day on android phones, ipad pro, 3 PCs, an Amazon Echo all lose connections and then a short time later reconnects. Annoying as hell for something this expensive.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 27 of 32
cyberprashant
Luminary

@mboyce wrote:
I am having the same issues. New Orbi RBR50 and satellite installed Sunday 9/3 and had disconnects within first hour. Have not timed the intervals, but happens multiple times per day on android phones, ipad pro, 3 PCs, an Amazon Echo all lose connections and then a short time later reconnects. Annoying as hell for something this expensive.

your only solution is to downgrade for now (until such time orbi releases a new firmware)  to 1.11.0.20xx firmware - see the post above and also the main 1.12.0.18 discussion thread on how to downgrade.   I had the same problems with Amazon echo dropping and now complete stability - downgrade sticking now > 1 month.    Total orbi time probably 1 year in that time my only problems were when 1.12.0.18 got released.       The tricky part is preventing the auto-update.   If you have a router to plug the orbi into and in that router can block downloads.netgear.com first, that's how I did mine.   I guess a lot of ppl are having trouble getting the downgrade to stick

Message 28 of 32
Mikey94025
Hero

If you decide to downgrade, here are the telnet instructions to make it stick: https://community.netgear.com/ejquo23388/board/message?board.id=Orbi&message.id=10304#M10304

Message 29 of 32
Peace_105
Aspirant

Thanks for input. I have stopped use the Orbi system (just sits on shelf and look pretty). I'll get a new optic fiber to the house soon instead of using 4G or DSL and will give it a new try after that...

Message 30 of 32
bakernour
Aspirant

This is ridiculous, can an admin let us know when Netgear will actually address this issue? We should not have to go through all this trouble to get our routers to work.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 31 of 32
thebishop
Apprentice

Try the new 2.0 firmware released, it sorted out all of my issues...

Message 32 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7