× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Very strange Connecting Problems

Lcarey596
Aspirant

Very strange Connecting Problems

Okay,

I actually have a ORBI RBK753S Tri Band Mesh 6, but there is not a selection for that model.

I just reinstalled everythng from factory settings again.

Set up WPA3 on router, guest network, renamed the devices that are attached. Router works, satellites work, Ok I'm good to go? Nope!

Thought that everything was okay until I tried to attach my husbands Apple SE mobile phone to the network, and it won't connect! It's an Apple SE, older one from a few years ago.

Then I signon to the PC again and look at the network and there are two ORBI's. One that is at the top and connected and one that I cannot connect to? What's up with this?

What is going on? This is the second time that I have reinstalled this system with this same network problem! Is it my hunband's mobile phone that is messing things up?

Please see the PIC that I have attached. I tried to attached 2 pics, but it wouldn't let me. (the pic of network prior to attempting to attach husbands phone, where there is only 1 ORBI)

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Very strange Connecting Problems

The picture looks exactly correct to me.  This device is connected via ethernet (the picture of a computer screen) to the Orbi and it has identified the connection during the ethernet handshake by the Orbi's WiFi name.  It also detects the two Orbi WiFi SSID's (ORBI753S and ORBI753S-Guest).

I have Windows 10 computers connected to two different Orbi routers.  One shows up as "Network" and the other shows up as "ORBI80", which matches the WiFi name on that router.  I have no idea why they are different, but they both work.

Orbi WiFi names follow a long-established pattern of a company name plus "something sort of unique".  Notice that you have neighbors with WiFi names of NETGEAR93 and TP-LINK_E754.  My neighbors have names like ATTg5TqZfi and MySpectrumWiFic8-zg.  So many customers just plug in their WiFi and use it that companies have to have a way to prevent neaby houses from having exactly the same WiFi names. With 100 choices (00-99) Netgear seems to think it unlikely that random chance would put two identical names nextdoor to each other.  ATT seems to have gone to an extreme (g5TqZfi - looks like every system they manufacture has a unique name).  Spectrum seems to be similar (c8-zg implies 52 to the 4th power = 7,311,616 unique names).

Every time I install a new WiFi router, I give it exactly the same WiFi name/password as the old one. That way, all of my devices connect automatically without me doing anything to them.  And, if I decide to "go back", I just reinstall the previous router and everything connects again.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 19

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Just a quick response: Most WiFi devices are not compatible with WPA3 (the very newest security protocol). Would it be convienient to change the security level to WPA2?

Message 2 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@Lcarey596 wrote:

Okay,

I actually have a ORBI RBK753S Tri Band Mesh 6, but there is not a selection for that model.

I just reinstalled everythng from factory settings again.

Set up WPA3 on router, guest network, renamed the devices that are attached. Router works, satellites work, Ok I'm good to go? Nope!

Thought that everything was okay until I tried to attach my husbands Apple SE mobile phone to the network, and it won't connect! It's an Apple SE, older one from a few years ago.

Then I signon to the PC again and look at the network and there are two ORBI's. One that is at the top and connected and one that I cannot connect to? What's up with this?

What is going on? This is the second time that I have reinstalled this system with this same network problem! Is it my hunband's mobile phone that is messing things up?

Please see the PIC that I have attached. I tried to attached 2 pics, but it wouldn't let me. (the pic of network prior to attempting to attach husbands phone, where there is only 1 ORBI)

Thanks

Message 3 of 19
Lcarey596
Aspirant

I can try putting it back to WPA2 and see what happens. Do I have to clear everything out and start over fresh or just switch it back?
Also, why user there two Orbi networks showing up?
Message 4 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

You can just change it back. 

Do you have a nieghbor with an Orbi system? 

It's highly recommended that you change the default wifi SSID name on the RBR to something different. Can be anything. Something fun or intuitive and unique for the name.

@Lcarey596 wrote:
I can try putting it back to WPA2 and see what happens. Do I have to clear everything out and start over fresh or just switch it back?
Also, why user there two Orbi networks showing up?

Message 5 of 19
Lcarey596
Aspirant

Okay, changed it back to WPA2 of both main and guest and renamed ORBI.
What to I have to do to get rid of the original network names that show up on the PC network? Reboot the computer? Reboot the router?
Thanks for you help.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya the main Network and Guest Network should be different. 

After you change the SSIDs and apply the changes on the RBR. the PCs should no longer see the old SSID name.

Message 7 of 19
Lcarey596
Aspirant

Well, I changed the name of the to ORBI753 and guest network and the original ORBI00 is the one that is still connected to. See pic. How do I  get rid of the ORBI00?

OK, I finally got the TV to connect to the new Orbi753S network. I can signon to Netflix but when i hit the Amazon Prime I just get a black screen. Not sure what hapened, because in the past when I have a problem, it tells me and I just have to signon again on the TV. 

Also, Is it better to hardwire the TV to the back of the Satillite?

Thanks

Message 8 of 19
Lcarey596
Aspirant

Well, I deleted the ORBI00 through the network settings, but now the router is attached to the new ORBI753S WIFI? see pic. What is going on? Or should I have just renamed the ORBI00? I didnt think I had that option.

Sorry, I'm pulling out my hair at this point!!

Thanks

PS: what does your "Ya" mean? ie: Ya the main Network 

Message 9 of 19
Lcarey596
Aspirant

Okay, I got the ORBI00 Connected again so that the PC is not on WIFI.

How do I change the registry name for Win 10 from 

ORBI00 to ORBI753S?  Also, this PC is a 64bit.

I'm seeing instructions, but afrid to mess with it. or is it a simple  correction, like rebooting or reinstalling the ORBI again from Factory settings, which I can do withour a problem.Which ever way that you think is better for me, considering that I'm not a pro with messing with the PC/router, etc... 🙂

Thanks

Message 10 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@Lcarey596 wrote:

Also, Is it better to hardwire the TV to the back of the Satellite?

If it is practical to connect the TV to satellite with an ethernet cable, that is always a better connection.

Higher performance. One fewer WiFi devices taking up radio time.

If you can hardwire it, you are one lucky person.

Message 11 of 19
Lcarey596
Aspirant

I guess I'm lucky, because the satillite is right under the TV! YEAH, easy connect!

Okay, I have another problem...

For some reason I got the ORBI00 router to be renamed to the new router name ORBI753S.

But for some reason, I still have the ORBI753S listed below when you look up networks.

I looks to be a WiFi connection, is tht right? If so, how come that it is on the network selection, it never was prior?  I've included a pic.

Thanks for any help!

Message 12 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

The picture looks exactly correct to me.  This device is connected via ethernet (the picture of a computer screen) to the Orbi and it has identified the connection during the ethernet handshake by the Orbi's WiFi name.  It also detects the two Orbi WiFi SSID's (ORBI753S and ORBI753S-Guest).

I have Windows 10 computers connected to two different Orbi routers.  One shows up as "Network" and the other shows up as "ORBI80", which matches the WiFi name on that router.  I have no idea why they are different, but they both work.

Orbi WiFi names follow a long-established pattern of a company name plus "something sort of unique".  Notice that you have neighbors with WiFi names of NETGEAR93 and TP-LINK_E754.  My neighbors have names like ATTg5TqZfi and MySpectrumWiFic8-zg.  So many customers just plug in their WiFi and use it that companies have to have a way to prevent neaby houses from having exactly the same WiFi names. With 100 choices (00-99) Netgear seems to think it unlikely that random chance would put two identical names nextdoor to each other.  ATT seems to have gone to an extreme (g5TqZfi - looks like every system they manufacture has a unique name).  Spectrum seems to be similar (c8-zg implies 52 to the 4th power = 7,311,616 unique names).

Every time I install a new WiFi router, I give it exactly the same WiFi name/password as the old one. That way, all of my devices connect automatically without me doing anything to them.  And, if I decide to "go back", I just reinstall the previous router and everything connects again.

Message 13 of 19
Lcarey596
Aspirant

Thank you for your information CO!!!

Yes!! I finally got the ORBI00 out of my network.

So are you advising me to change the router name altogether away from "ORBI" in case I change routers to a different brand?

I'm trying to figure out how come it takes so long for ORBI to respond to changes.

ie ethernet handshake, etc. ??

It's like when I try to resync the router to the satillites.

It seems like it is 10+ minutes before something works when it is changed.

Is that normal?

Have you had a problem where out of the blue, the router communication goes down and doesn't come back up? I had this happen and thought that the router actually died. I did a factory reset and it still didn't work. I had  purchased it at Costco in November 2020 and they took it back and that's why I just purchased a new one.

I tried to connect to WPA3 and that totally messed things up, so back to WPA2 I went.

And I'm  not sure about all the rest of the settings that are in the menu. ie: WAN, LAN, Dynamic DNS, UpNp, Ipv6, VLAN / Bridge Settings...

I now connected a RJ45 to my LG TV, but it says LAN connection and I  connected it to the satillite. Should I be changing the LAN setup on the ORBI menu?

Also, on the satillites, what are the ratings for the connections to the router?

Poor, Good, ?? more?

Thanks for your help.

Message 14 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@Lcarey596 wrote:

So are you advising me to change the router name altogether away from "ORBI" in case I change routers to a different brand?

All I am suggesting is that whatever name your WiFi has is likely to be too much effort to change when it comes time to install a new WiFi system.  I have 38 devices on my network and it would take hours to go around and reset all of them to a new WiFi name.  My son's Orbi WiFi is "Belkin427" because it was easier than changing everything.

I'm trying to figure out how come it takes so long for ORBI to respond to changes. Attached Devices takes quite a while to update, and ANY MAJOR change often involves the Orbi doing a reset of the entire wireless radio system.  Should not be 10 minutes, but at least 3.

Have you had a problem where out of the blue, the router communication goes down and doesn't come back up? I had this happen and thought that the router actually died. I did a factory reset and it still didn't work. I had  purchased it at Costco in November 2020 and they took it back and that's why I just purchased a new one.

Knock on wood. Not me.

I tried to connect to WPA3 and that totally messed things up, so back to WPA2 I went. Yes, few devices support WPA3 and cannot connect when the router demands it.  I think it is included for fanatics who demand the greatest security and are willing to put up with not being able to use existing devices.

And I'm  not sure about all the rest of the settings that are in the menu. ie: WAN, LAN, Dynamic DNS, UpNp, Ipv6, VLAN / Bridge Settings...Those are for specific needs. When you need them, you'll know.

I now connected a RJ45 to my LG TV, but it says LAN connection and I  connected it to the satillite. Should I be changing the LAN setup on the ORBI menu?I am a bit OCD, so all of my 'permanent' devices have entries in the LAN Setup table so that I know exactly which IP they will get.  It's optiona.

Also, on the satillites, what are the ratings for the connections to the router?

Poor, Good, ?? more?

Good, Poor, and not working.

Message 15 of 19
Lcarey596
Aspirant

WOW, thank you for all your answers!!

Okay, I guess I will change the SSID name...

When I do that, will all the devices follow, or do I have to change it individually in each item? 

I think that the ony one would be the TV, but not sure if I have to if it's hard wired...

LAN Setup table? I know that I saw this along the way of looking at everything, but now I can't remember where?

Thanks, again...

Message 16 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@Lcarey596 wrote:

WOW, thank you for all your answers!!

Okay, I guess I will change the SSID name...

When I do that, will all the devices follow, or do I have to change it individually in each item? 

That is exactly the point.  Devices 'know' the WiFi name that was entered into them. When that WiFi name disappears, they have nothing to connect to until they are reconfigured. That's why my WiFi routers will ALWAYS have the name I'm using now.  Too tedious to change 38 devices.

I think that the ony one would be the TV, but not sure if I have to if it's hard wired...

Anything that is hard wired is not using WiFi, and thus has no setting to change.

LAN Setup table? I know that I saw this along the way of looking at everything, but now I can't remember where?

Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) Advanced Tab, Setup Menu, LAN Setup.  First, copy down the MAC address of the TV from the Attached Devices page so you can enter it into the table. I would define its permanent IP as the one it has now.

Message 17 of 19
Lcarey596
Aspirant

Well, I guess I'm lucky so far, because I only have our two mobile phones that are on wireless so far, everything eles is hardwired. I still have 10 wireless to add, but I wanted to make sure that everything was working prior to doing this.

What exactly does the LAN setup do when you add the devices to it and is there an advantge to adding devices to it.

Message 18 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

Every device that joins the Orbi LAN will broadcast a message asking what IP address to use.  In the middle of the page is where you define which range of IP addresses to give out randomly, starting at some number greater than 1 and ending at some number less than 254. B default, the range starts at 1. So your TV and phones have already received IP addresses from the Orbi, as have any satellites that are attached to it.

Sometimes it is really helpful to know ahead of time that a device will always get the same IP address.  That's where the table at the bottom of the page comes in.  Each entry in the table defines the IP address for one device by its MAC address. Things that will be around for a while (years) and will be on almost all the time benefit from known IP addresses. Any time I see 192.168.1.4, I say, "That's my Epson printer."  192.168.1.10 is my Nest Thermostat. I do a lot of connecting to devices by IP address, so it helps to know which IP a device has.

So, I set aside a bunch of IP's at the beginning for these devices and have the range for "other things" start higher than all of them.

If you pick a number like 51 for the DHCP range to start at, that means you can define IP's for 49 devices before you run out. (Orbi has "1")

It is easier to assign the IP that a device already has because Orbi's DHCP process is quirky.  When a device asks, "Can I have IP 192.168.1.14", Orbi first looks to see if some other device is already using 14.  If not, it says, "Sure go ahead."  It does not look in the table and say, "Oh no, buddy, the owner says you must have 192.168.1.8."  Drives people crazy trying to get devices to change.  Better to set the table up with what they already have.

You also have to be aware that many modern devices, such as iPhones and Android phones have a security setting where instead of using their real MAC address they will make up a new MAC address for every WiFi network they join.  This bugs the s**t out of me, so I turn off that feature. Otherwise those iPhones will get new IP's all the time.  (Printers never do this, because they do not go from one WiFi hot spot to another!)

It is not a requirement to configure an Orbi WiFi system.  Thousands of customers just plug them in, read the WiFi credentials on the product label, and get on with life.  Computer Nerds like me cannot help ourselves. We tinker with everything.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7