Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Virgin Media Hub3 and Orbi

kiwi-rich
Aspirant

Re: Virgin Media Hub3 and Orbi

Thanks for this. I recently upgraded my Virgin Hub 3.0 from the original 3.0 version when it died on me due to hardware failure and the latest firmware upgrade for this rebadged Arris box renders Modem Mode when combined with Orbi a no-go. I have had to leave the wifi on the Hub to ensure Internet is accessible. I will probably convert Orbi to an AP. Other than having one extra Wifi access point I have all the functionality of the previous infrastructure, but please be wary of so-called upgrades to software etc as in this case they had a material impact on the Virgin SH3 and Orbi combination.

Message 26 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

If you configure the Orbi for AP mode, then you can disable the wifi on the HUB. This is recommended as it can cause interferences with the Orbi wifi system and having other wifi signals in close range.

@kiwi-rich wrote:

Thanks for this. I recently upgraded my Virgin Hub 3.0 from the original 3.0 version when it died on me due to hardware failure and the latest firmware upgrade for this rebadged Arris box renders Modem Mode when combined with Orbi a no-go. I have had to leave the wifi on the Hub to ensure Internet is accessible. I will probably convert Orbi to an AP. Other than having one extra Wifi access point I have all the functionality of the previous infrastructure, but please be wary of so-called upgrades to software etc as in this case they had a material impact on the Virgin SH3 and Orbi combination.

Message 27 of 36
DB2k
Aspirant

Although bear in mind if you get an internet problem and your hub reboots you'll lose your wifi network and therefore local access, if you have your Orbi in AP mode.

Message 28 of 36

Adding to my previous reply about configuring Orbi with Virgin Hub by resetting both boxes, I just found out the Virgin hub is in modem mode, so wifi is off from that box.
I recently purchased an HP Envy printer but I couldn’t use it as an AirPrint printer until I switched the Orbi Satellite off. The printer was treating it like a second network. Now the AirPrint works beautifully but the Orbi Satellite is banished to my garage. Money wasted.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 29 of 36
DB2k
Aspirant

I mean.. sacrificing coverage around the house and garden so you can once a month print something off your phone seems harsh? Just move nearer the AP with the printer and then print - then they will be on the same AP no?

Maybe raise a ticket on HP too as really it should just work?

Message 30 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable the Airprint on the HP printer and test the Orbi again...Orbi should work well if set up right.

@andrewjboswell wrote:
Adding to my previous reply about configuring Orbi with Virgin Hub by resetting both boxes, I just found out the Virgin hub is in modem mode, so wifi is off from that box.
I recently purchased an HP Envy printer but I couldn’t use it as an AirPrint printer until I switched the Orbi Satellite off. The printer was treating it like a second network. Now the AirPrint works beautifully but the Orbi Satellite is banished to my garage. Money wasted.

Message 31 of 36

I bought the HP printer so I could use AirPrint. My point is that it doesn’t work with Orbi Satellite. Disabling Airprint isn’t an option.

Message 32 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Where was the printer in relation to distance from the router and satellite. If the printer if broadcasing its own wifi, this would cause interference with the Orbi Wifi. What channels is the printer using? Channels would need to be far and separate from the Orbis Wifi.
You should contact HP about this and see if they have any information regarding there printer working with the Orbi.

What channels are you using on the Orbi? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Disabling the wifi on the printer is only to see if it helps with the Orbi Wifi.

@andrewjboswell wrote:

I bought the HP printer so I could use AirPrint. My point is that it doesn’t work with Orbi Satellite. Disabling Airprint isn’t an option.

Message 33 of 36

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. 

I have no problem with the Orbi satellite other than it prevents AirPrint from working. Apart from that it works fine.

I was just posting here to help anyone else faced with the same issue.

Thanks,

Andrew

Message 34 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 35 of 36
Greenstp
Aspirant

@andrewjboswell wrote:

It has taken me a few months but I now seem to have  got my Orbi system working well with the Virgin Hub 3.0. It took me so long because there are so many conflicting opinions on the Internet and none of them worked for me so I went back to basics:

Here's what I did:

1 Unplugged all ethernet cables from Virgin Hub and plugged in only the Orbi main hub, to the bottom port (port 1). [The other ports didn't work. One of the experts said to use the top port on the hub but that didn't work.]
2. Used a paperclip to reset the Virgin Hub, leaving the Orbi connected
3. Used a paperclip to reset the Orbi, then used the Orbi App on iPhone to configure it. The troubleshooting wizard popped up and fixed the internet connection. [For a while the Orbi app still said I had no internet connection but in fact I did.]
4. When the app told me to, I plugged in the Orbi satellite and set it up.

5. I intended to set the Virgin hub to modem mode but I couldn't browse to the Hub through the Orbi wi-fi connection, so I left Virgin in router mode, but without connecting to its wi-fi.

6. Connected the virgin media system via the Orbi wi-fi. Don't connect it or anything else to the Virgin ethernet ports, apart from the Orbi main hub.

7. Connected my Hive by ethernet to the Orbi main hub

8. Connected my Echos via the Orbi wi-fi

9. To connect Sonos I had to use an Ethernet connection from my Sonos Playbar to my Orbi main hub.

Now I am getting 200Mbps wifi everywhere in my house, and down to the bottom of my garden, so I am happy at last! As I sit here typing this my Orbi app reports the internet speed is 393Mbps download and 21 Mbps upload.

Long story short - the reset wizards fixed it for me.

Good luck everyone!

That worked - thanks so much, Andrew!

Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7