Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WIFI LAN Devices

AKLGUY
Apprentice

WIFI LAN Devices

Ok I have seen reports here with people with 4+ Satellite units

While I could have one more for the garage just for the last bit of coverage on the back deck.

In the house I do have one spot that has excellent coverage, But some LAN devices. A satellite would be ok but might be over kill.

I could run a LAN cable, but the roof and under floor space is a bit tight. Anyone know of a good WIFI device that I can connect to my Orbi network and my LAN devices to that.

I have had powerline devices in the past. But the results have been a bit patchy as the house is old.

Or should I just man up and get one of the neighbour hood kids to come crawl under the house and pull some cable for some pocket money while I chat to the parents over a coffee

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: WIFI LAN Devices

A RBS50 would provide LAN ports. If that is overkill because WiFi is already good in that spot, then Google “WiFi bridge” and buy one that suits you. If you have an old router with bridge mode use that.

The RBS would provide greater aggregate throughout for LAN devices because it would connect over the Orbi backhaul. On the other hand, adding a satellite where there’s already a strong Orbi signal might cause issues with certain devices roaming between Orbis.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
Ulairi
Luminary

I've had good results down here in Wellington with the RBS50 satellite (that came with the RBK50 kit) to feed connected devices via ethernet cable.   That is with the RBR50 to RBS50 connection being via WiFi backhaul - not ethernet cable backhaul 

Some people on this forum report lots of problems with using the Orbi's Ethernet backhaul and it seems that the WiFi backhaul gives a better chance of success. 

But I don't recommend using a RBW30 wall plug satellite, nor any other AC2200 satellite.  First - the RBW30 has no Ethernet connections.  Second, mine is flaky with a RBR50. For the same reason, I'd keep away from the other non-AC3000 satellites. 

The problem is that in NZ it is hard to purchase the add-on RBR50 sats.  The only outlet is **bleep** Smith (which is actually a parallel import via Kogan.com in Australia)

Let us know how it goes. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 2 of 5
AKLGUY
Apprentice

Its more I have the Satellite the other end of the house.

Just where I want the new device is like 5 meters from the main router and gets FULL Signal, just the devices are LAN only

No real advantage having a satellite there, As I can already be in my neighbours spa pool with my laptop and get my network perfectly.

Message 3 of 5
st_shaw
Master

A RBS50 would provide LAN ports. If that is overkill because WiFi is already good in that spot, then Google “WiFi bridge” and buy one that suits you. If you have an old router with bridge mode use that.

The RBS would provide greater aggregate throughout for LAN devices because it would connect over the Orbi backhaul. On the other hand, adding a satellite where there’s already a strong Orbi signal might cause issues with certain devices roaming between Orbis.
Message 4 of 5
AKLGUY
Apprentice

@st_shaw wrote:

Thank you. Yeah I will look at a WIFI Bridge. The devices are only 10/100MB devices so not hugely important. I think I have an older Airport Extreme around somewhere that might do the job.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7