Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] for one external website?

rschwirtz14878
Aspirant

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] for one external website?

Working to solve this puzzle.  New to the community.  

Access to the the general internet from our home Orbi WiFi network works fine.  Attempting access one website results in the [WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] showing up in the Orbi's logs and the site is not reachable.  Bypassing the Orbi by using cellular and the site comes up fine.   Bypassing the Orbi by connecting via hardwire to my home network Firewall / Router and the site comes up fine.   Currently running Orbi Router Firmware Version V2.7.4.24 and have Security Shield Enabled.  I am not comfortable disabling the Security Shield if that is the recommendation.  Any thoughts on how best to white list this one site or address this access rejection issue? 

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: [WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] for one external website?

@rschwirtz14878 wrote:

Attempting access one website results in the [WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] showing up in the Orbi's logs and the site is not reachable.

A very interesting situation.  Can you confirm that the log entry appears similar to this one:

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address b2:73:7a:20:xx:xx, Friday, August 12, 2022 14:33:11

I created this log entry by 'forgetting' the Orbi WiFi SSID on my phone, selecting it again, and entering the WiFi password incorrectly.  The phone reported that it was unable to connect to WiFi.

The point being that WLAN in this log entry appears to be an abbreviation for Wireless LAN, not anything to do with a web site.

Was the device attempting to connect to the web site already connected to WiFi and able to access other web sites?

(It would be strange to think that some other device attempted to connect at the precise moment the web site did not appear.)

Can this log entry be replicated?  i.e. if the web browser attempts to open this web site several times, does more than one log entry appear?

This video claims that the Armor app will display a list of 'threats blocked.'  (once toward the start of the video and then again later.)

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/netgear-armor.aspx 

Does this web site appear in the list?

I have not enabled Armor, so I am not familiar with whether there is a 'white list' function or not.

Message 2 of 3

Re: [WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] for one external website?

@rschwirtz14878 wrote:

Attempting access one website results in the [WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] showing up in the Orbi's logs and the site is not reachable. 

All browsers?

These are getting increasingly picky when they hit a malformed web server.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7