Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WLAN backhaul collision on my RBR50

Danorosso
Aspirant

WLAN backhaul collision on my RBR50

Hello,

I am having trouble understanding the backhaul stats of my Orbi RBR50 with firmware V2.5.1.8. I have two sattelites, one of them is wired, the other one is not. In stats it is showing collisions every second (see screenshot), is this bad/wrong? Can I change something to prevent this from happening or is this normal. I feel that the speed is not as good as it can be, and I have regular connection issues. My Sonos speaker often gets 'lost'.

Hope someone can help me out.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: WLAN backhaul collision on my RBR50

To my knowledge, this is the first time the question has come up.  So, under the principle of "do no harm", simply rebooting the Orbi system may help, but certainly should not hurt.

Unless somebody comes up with a better solution, the next step would be the dreaded "factory reset".  Depending on how much has been done to customize the Orbi setup, it can take less than an hour.  I would not do a firmware update at this time.

Should also confirm that this Orbi is more than 90 days old.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

There are several things "wrong" with the stats:

• Yes, massive collisions is unusual.  My Orbi has zero collisions.  I have never seen anything but zero in those fields.
    Ordinarily, one would conclude that there is another 5G WiFi on the same channel as the Orbi backhaul.
  • Both 2.4G and 5G WiFi radios are down.  This means "no service".

It looks like the Orbi was rebooted about 22 days ago.  Maybe it is time to power cycle the system.  (satellites and router).

If you have something that can display WiFi access points (Android phone/tablet with WiFi Analyzer app or Windows laptop with WiFiInfoView), you might look for another WiFi signal competing with the Orbi backhaul.  The Orbi backhaul will be on a upper 5G channel  (mine is 157).  It shows up as an access point with no "name" (because the Orbi does not broadcast the backhaul SSID).

Message 2 of 5
Danorosso
Aspirant

Thanks for the fast reply. So power cycling the system is the best approach, if that fails, should I do a fresh install?
Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

To my knowledge, this is the first time the question has come up.  So, under the principle of "do no harm", simply rebooting the Orbi system may help, but certainly should not hurt.

Unless somebody comes up with a better solution, the next step would be the dreaded "factory reset".  Depending on how much has been done to customize the Orbi setup, it can take less than an hour.  I would not do a firmware update at this time.

Should also confirm that this Orbi is more than 90 days old.

Message 4 of 5
Danorosso
Aspirant

The power cycle worked, at least for now. No more collisions.

Thank you for your help
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7