Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What actually causes brs_wanlan_conflict.html on Orbi RBR2?

Captainiowa2
Aspirant

What actually causes brs_wanlan_conflict.html on Orbi RBR2?

I'm on what appears to be a triple-NAT network (setup by my landlord) and on my Apple devices (all that I own), I'm getting a redirect to brs_wanlan_conflict.html. While I eventually want to find a solution, I'm first trying to find documentation for the conditions that actually make that redirect happen. For me, the redirect appears sporadically on popular sites and consistently when invoking certain subdomains (e.g. maps.google.com but not google.com). Does anyone have insight into what's happening and why only some sites are affected? 

Also, I anticipate that I'll receive advice to simply not triple-NAT because it adds network complexity and degrades performance. While I appreciate a clean network topology, the unique needs of this building make a triple-NAT sufficient and most cost effective (i.e. using existing equipment). Namely, the goal is to setup three separate subnets for three individuals whose most network instensive needs are to use streaming services and make video calls (i.e. not gaming). 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Captainiowa2
Aspirant

Re: What actually causes brs_wanlan_conflict.html on Orbi RBR2?

"appears"?  Actual evidence?  Any clues as to the gizmos involved,
and how they're connected and configured?  Actual IP addresses?  Any
useful info at all?

I didn't setup the network, but I have some clues. There are four visible devices:

• Modem
  • Orbi RBR20 (WAN port connected to modem, ethernet to next router)
  • Netgear WGR614v10 (WAN port connected to Orbi, switch port to MoCA)
  • MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter (unknown outputs because it goes to another part of the building)

Joining the Orbi RBR20 shows the router assigned to 10.0.0.1 and joining the WGR614v10 shows the router at 192.168.1.1.  

>  When you do what, exactly?  Which says what, exactly?

I've attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing. 

Repro steps:

1) Navigate to maps.google.com

2) Observe that I'm redirected and "brs_wanlan_conflict.html" is appended to the path (screenshot)

> To me, that sounds like a possible implementation scheme which is
intended to achieve some unspecified actual goal. Is there some actual
problem which you are trying to solve? Care to share?

Trying to setup two separate subnets for different people to join.

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Captainiowa2 wrote:

I'm on what appears to be a triple-NAT network (setup by my landlord) and on my Apple devices (all that I own), I'm getting a redirect to brs_wanlan_conflict.html. While I eventually want to find a solution, I'm first trying to find documentation for the conditions that actually make that redirect happen. For me, the redirect appears sporadically on popular sites and consistently when invoking certain subdomains (e.g. maps.google.com but not google.com). Does anyone have insight into what's happening and why only some sites are affected? 

Also, I anticipate that I'll receive advice to simply not triple-NAT because it adds network complexity and degrades performance. While I appreciate a clean network topology, the unique needs of this building make a triple-NAT sufficient and most cost effective (i.e. using existing equipment). Namely, the goal is to setup three separate subnets for three individuals whose most network instensive needs are to use streaming services and make video calls (i.e. not gaming). 

Some random comments:

In regard to finding documentation about brs_wanlan_conflict.html, I feel your pain.  My internet searches turn up lots of reports, but no technical explanation at all. There is no public web site with that URL.  There is no Orbi web page with that URL

In itself, "triple Nat" is not the horrible thing we make it out to be.  I have deliberately set up a triple NAT (Orbi router->Archer router->Orbi router-> laptop and found that most web activities worked just fine.(web browsing, video streaming, email).  What definitely does not work are things such as inward VPN, port forwarding, and some video gaming.  Of course one would prefer not to pass data through three routers.

The only solution reported in my searches was to put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode.  Still no explanation, but the threads stopped at that point.

It may be time to talk to the landlord and get a detailed explanation of what equipment forms the network in the building. (brand and model number).

I can imagine one ISP device (which should be "only a modem" but may be a combination device).  If it's only a modem, then there needs to be a router to provide connections to three tenants.  https://www.whatismyip.com/  will reveal the public IP address and ISP of the building device.  The Internet IP address on the Orbi web interface "Internet" menu reveals the IP assigned to your Orbi.

The only downsides that I see to putting the Orbi in AP mode are

• You lose control over IP assignment and cannot decide which local IP address to give each device.
    For some of us, that would be a major irritation.  Countless thousands of customers never realize they could do so and could care less.
  • It removes your local router's firewall protection from the other tenants.  Your devies should be secure in themselves (firewalls, refusal to accept connections, etc.), so I cannot gauge the severity of any risk.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ask the landlord if you can use the DMZ on his Router or ISP Modem/Router as a option so that you can use your Orbi system in router mode. DMZ helps avoid NAT issues and you can still use the Orbi in router mode instead of AP mode. 

@Captainiowa2 wrote:

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Captainiowa2 wrote:

I didn't setup the network, but I have some clues. There are four visible devices:

• Modem
  • Orbi RBR20 (WAN port connected to modem, ethernet to next router)
  • Netgear WGR614v10 (WAN port connected to Orbi, switch port to MoCA)
  • MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter (unknown outputs because it goes to another part of the building)

Joining the Orbi RBR20 shows the router assigned to 10.0.0.1 and joining the WGR614v10 shows the router at 192.168.1.1.  

Trying to setup two separate subnets for different people to join.

Sorry I did not see this part of the earlier response.  It remains of interest to know the model number of the modem, to determine if it is "only a modem" or a combination modem/router.

It is still not clear (to me) what part of this equipment belongs to the landlord and which part belongs to you. (There are a total of three tenants, correct?) The separate subnet is intended for which group of people? (visitors to you? other tenants?)

Where is the computer that is showing the brs_wanlan_conflict connected? (to the Orbi? to the WGR614v10?)

As an experiment, how about disconnecting the MoCHA adapter teporarily.  Not knowing what else is conencted to it, there is a distinct possibility that there is another router in the building which duplicates your IP subnet.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Captainiowa2 wrote:

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7