Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why do Devices connect to Router farther away than satellite?

correalej
Aspirant

Why do Devices connect to Router farther away than satellite?

I am on the Latest version 2.1.4.10.   Not that it as just happened, but i have noticed out of the last 2 months with all the issues my wireless speeds have dropped.  I have 1 RBR50 router (AP Mode)  and 3 Satellites and I decided to check device list and noticed a few of the devices upstairs here are connected to the Main RBR50 downstairs (oh 40 Ft away and 10 feet down) vs. the satellite in the room up here 15 feet away.   What causes this?  I am on the PC here and get about 80 down wireless connected to the AP mode RBR50 where as my Iphone is connected to the Satellite up here and getting 299 down.  hmmmm.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Why do Devices connect to Router farther away than satellite?

@correalej wrote:

I am on the Latest version 2.1.4.10.   Not that it as just happened, but i have noticed out of the last 2 months with all the issues my wireless speeds have dropped.  I have 1 RBR50 router (AP Mode)  and 3 Satellites and I decided to check device list and noticed a few of the devices upstairs here are connected to the Main RBR50 downstairs (oh 40 Ft away and 10 feet down) vs. the satellite in the room up here 15 feet away.   What causes this?  I am on the PC here and get about 80 down wireless connected to the AP mode RBR50 where as my Iphone is connected to the Satellite up here and getting 299 down.  hmmmm.

Something to think about (for I too have seen this), .....it may be a matter of which (router or sat) finished booting up first.  During my many forced re-boots, I start (all is shut down) with the modem then turn on the router, followed by the sats one at a time.  Also keep in mind the range of 5G.

Message 2 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Correalej

Do you have fast roaming enabled on your Orbi system if not you may want to enable this feature in the advanced wireless settings this will allow your devices to more easily jump between the router and satellites.

DarrenM 

Message 3 of 4
correalej
Aspirant

Hmm i looked and no i do not have it enabled.   I will play with this setting this weekend.  Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7