× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why does Orbi RBR50 Ethernet connection display name of the Guest network

JDhacker
Aspirant

Why does Orbi RBR50 Ethernet connection display name of the Guest network

Have Orbi RBR50 router with wired (ethernet) connection to service provider's AT&T fiber using their 5268AC FXN router

Orbi (out) ethernet feeds a Netgear GS108 switch which has an ethernet connection to a Dell 5060 desktop.

On this desktop (Windows 10 Pro) (Network & Internet > Ethernet) it displays the ethernet icon, the name of the guest network and "Connected"

My question is why is my computer not displaying the name of the main network.  I have seen other posts that say the guest network is wireless only. If I diable the guest network, the ethernet still connects with the guest name.

I can see this computer as one of the "attached devices" and "wired" on Orbi's web page.

Using 1 wireless satellite.  Firmware V2.7.3.22

Thanks JJD

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Why does Orbi RBR50 Ethernet connection display name of the Guest network

This is a true puzzler.  I have two Orbi RBR50's (one for actual use and one for experiments [and my spare])

The production Orbi shows up on a Windows 10 desktop as "Network".

The test Orbi shows up on a Linovo laptop as the Orbi router name. (which happens in this case to be the same as the WiFi SSID).

What is the 'name' of your Orbi?

(Found on the web interface, Advanced Tab, Setup, Device Name)

Message 2 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

@JDhacker wrote:

Have Orbi RBR50 router with wired (ethernet) connection to service provider's AT&T fiber using their 5268AC FXN router

Orbi (out) ethernet feeds a Netgear GS108 switch which has an ethernet connection to a Dell 5060 desktop.

On this desktop (Windows 10 Pro) (Network & Internet > Ethernet) it displays the ethernet icon, the name of the guest network and "Connected"

My question is why is my computer not displaying the name of the main network.  I have seen other posts that say the guest network is wireless only. If I diable the guest network, the ethernet still connects with the guest name.

Can you attach a screenshot of what you're talking about?  Did you at some time in the past connect this computer to your wireless guest network of that name or any other Orbi wireless network with that same name?

Windows 10 automatically creates a network profile when you connect to a network. Ethernet networks are named something like “Network,” while wireless networks are named after the SSID of the hotspot.  Unlike wireless connections, there is no other "name" for the wired ethernet so the wired network name in Windows is just a string and not controlled by your Orbi.

In my experience Windows figures out that the wired ethernet is the same as a previously-connected wireless network and reuses it.  So if you wireless connect to "MyNetwork" and then wired connect to the same network, Windows will reuse "MyNetwork" or sometimes give it a number like "MyNetwork 2".  See my attached screenshot showing an example, where "maggie 4" is the name of my wired network and the Windows profile was smart enough to relate it to my Orbi's wireless network named "maggie".

You can also change the Windows wired network name to whatever you want: https://www.howtogeek.com/364291/how-to-change-or-rename-the-active-network-profile-name-in-windows-...

Message 3 of 5
JDhacker
Aspirant

Thanks all for the input.  I attached two screenshots, one ethernet where my Guest network is "Bestguest" and wireless is "ORBO73".  Tried disconnecting ethernet, connecting wireless, disconnecting wireless then reconnecting ethernet and it still says "Bestguest"

Ethernet Guest.jpgOrbi wireless.jpgIf this is just a WIndows naming issue then I will leave it as is, but thanks for the instructions to change.  My main concern was security as I was concerned that someone on my guest network would have a way to access my computer.

Message 4 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

@JDhacker wrote:

Thanks all for the input.  I attached two screenshots, one ethernet where my Guest network is "Bestguest" and wireless is "ORBO73".  Tried disconnecting ethernet, connecting wireless, disconnecting wireless then reconnecting ethernet and it still says "Bestguest"

If this is just a WIndows naming issue then I will leave it as is, but thanks for the instructions to change.  My main concern was security as I was concerned that someone on my guest network would have a way to access my computer.

It is just a Windows naming thing for the wired network connection, not any indication of a security issue.  Windows will not change the wired network name once it is initialized the very first time.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7