Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Why no automatic firmware upgrade for my RBR50/RBS50?

cdysthe
Virtuoso

Why no automatic firmware upgrade for my RBR50/RBS50?

When I log into my RBR50 I see I'm running firmware V2.5.0.38. It says there are no updates when I check. But when I check on the product page there's newer firmware available V2.5.1.8. Why am I not getting that through auto update? Do I have to install it manually?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 4
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Yes, you need to download v2.5.1.8 manually and install it on the router.  Download and extract the ZIP file for the RBR50 and then install the rbr50-v2.5.1.8.img file under the Manual Firmware install menu.  Once the router is updated, the satellites should update themselves and reboot themselves to match.  If the satellites do not update themselves to v2.5.1.8, then you need to also download and extract the ZIP file for the RBS50 satellite and login to the web interface of each satellite and upload the rbs50-v2.5.1.8.img file using their manual firmware install menu.  Be sure to use the RBR files for the router and RBS files for the satellites.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

As far as I know, Netgear has not made a public statement about this situation.  Firmware updates are now optional, as they have been for years on the Nighthawk product line.  There has been considerable controversy over recent firmware releases.  My own (personal) opinion is that Netgear is reluctant to "lead people on" with "Here's new firmware.  Install it now!" and then face a withering storm of frustration when people run into unanticipated problems.

3.5.1.8 appears to have been released to correct problems introduced by 2.5.0.38, and there are users who claim that it is "still not right."  I would not be in a hurry to do a firmware update unless there is a specific problem that you are having and the new firmware addresses it.

Message 3 of 4
cdysthe
Virtuoso

Thanks. I do not have any problems right now so I will just stay on what works until further notice.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7