Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi drops and reconnects intermittently, RBR20

Gabe777
Tutor

WiFi drops and reconnects intermittently

Hi,
I have an Orbi rbr20 router with 3 satellites. WiFi is inconsistent with it dropping and reconnecting throughout the day. I’ve had the hardware for over 1 year. I have latest firmware for both hardwares and Orbi phone app.

Your help is appreciated. Thanks.
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: WiFi drops and reconnects intermittently

has it been dropping the entire year?

Is this something new? 

What modem/gateway do you have?

What actual firmware version are you on? 

how big is your home ?

how far apart are the router/satellites from each other? (30 ft mimimum is recommended)

are they connected to each other using wireless/wired backhaul?

are they running through a switch (if so what switch)?

Message 2 of 14
Gabe777
Tutor

Thanks for your reply. Yes, new problem. WiFi problem within last 1.5 months. Orbi setup done over 1 yr ago.
-ATT gateway
-Orbi RBR20 firmware 2.6.2.104
-3 level home about 1800 sq feet
-3 satellites connected wirelessly
-all connected less than 30 ft
-don’t understand what it means to run through a switch
-Orbi router connected with Ethernet cable to att modem (1gb fiber), Orbi router is an access point I believe.

*Can this recent WiFi problem be due to frequency or channel interference? No new hardware or update was performed recently to cause the problem. Thank you.
Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

@Gabe777 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Yes, new problem. WiFi problem within last 1.5 months. Orbi setup done over 1 yr ago.
-ATT gateway---which gateway? ATT is notorious for using modem/router combo devices. Cascading multiple router is a recipe for issues. Its called a double nat. And ATT makes it so getting their devices in passthrough/modem only mode is a pain/doesn't work properly. Many end up with their orbi running in AP (access point) mode. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

-Orbi RBR20 firmware 2.6.2.104
-3 level home about 1800 sq feet---1800sq ft total or each floor? If its total, 3x satellites is probably to many unless your home is made from brick/concrete/plaster lathe/adobe
-3 satellites connected wirelessly
-all connected less than 30 ft----that's to close. they need at least 30ft between them.
-don’t understand what it means to run through a switch----some people hardwire in their satellites with a wired backhaul. I've seen some switches have issues/cause instabilities. 
-Orbi router connected with Ethernet cable to att modem (1gb fiber), Orbi router is an access point I believe.---is it actually in access point mode? it wouldn't be the first time a firmware upgrade caused a setting to change. 

*Can this recent WiFi problem be due to frequency or channel interference? ---its always worth a chance at trying to change the wireless channel. No new hardware or update was performed recently to cause the problem. Thank you.

Message 4 of 14
Gabe777
Tutor

1. ATT Arris BGW210. It was setup in passthrough mode and confirmed with ATT tech support when I installed the Orbi router over 1 yr ago.
2. I’ve confirmed yesterday that Orbi router is still in AP mode
3. 1800 ft total. I mistyped earlier. Each satellite is at least 30 ft apart. One on each floor.
4. I’ve changed the 2.4 to channel 11, 5 ghz to channel 46 yesterday.
Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

1800 sqft is a small area for that many satellites. My home is 3200sqft and I start seeing instabilities when I'm on the 2nd/3rd satellite. 

There's to much overlap and they don't roam properly. 

Have you tried removing a satellite?

also, have you tried a factory reset recently?

Message 6 of 14
Gabe777
Tutor

Yes, I’ve tried removing a satellite and did a factory reinstall. Problem persists.
Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

@Gabe777 wrote:
1. ATT Arris BGW210. It was setup in passthrough mode and confirmed with ATT tech support when I installed the Orbi router over 1 yr ago.
2. I’ve confirmed yesterday that Orbi router is still in AP mode

So if the bgw210 is in passthrough, the orbi shouldn't be in AP mode. 

So is the att device in passthrough?

And if so, are you sure the orbi is in AP mode? 

Message 8 of 14
Gabe777
Tutor

Yes, ATT modem is in passthrough. Level 3 Netgear IT support confirmed Orbi is in AP mode. I’ve confirmed also in the settings that it is in AP mode. What mode should it be then?
Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Router mode if your using the ISP Modems IP Pass-Thru feature.

Message 10 of 14
Gabe777
Tutor

Thank you for your support. My current setup is Att gateway (passthrough) < Gryphon mesh router < Orbi router (AP mode). Should I still change the Orbi to router mode?
Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have a router infront of the RBR then AP mode is fine.

Message 12 of 14
Gabe777
Tutor

Thank you for confirming the AP mode. Any other recommendations in correcting the intermittent WiFi drops?
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd turn OFF the RBS, run the RBR alone and observe to see if the wifi continues to drop...

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Traffic Meter, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

@Gabe777 wrote:
Thank you for confirming the AP mode. Any other recommendations in correcting the intermittent WiFi drops?

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7