Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wifi in Steel Building-Outdoor Satellite

acorbally
Follower

Wifi in Steel Building-Outdoor Satellite

I am having trouble with the outdoor satellite (RBS50Y) projecting signal to exterior cameras. Here is my setup.

I have two RBR50 satellites and one Orbi Outdoor Satellite. The first RBR50 satellite  resides in the office of the house connected to the satellite internet and the other in the master bedroom connected to the Arlo Smarthub. The outdoor satellite is on the deck facing my barn. I have cameras probably 75 feet from the outdoor satellite but their wifi signal shows barely a bar for signal. I bought the outdoor satellite so I could extend cameras to my calving area approximately 150'-200 from the house.   

In the app I see on the network app the Tuya (my arlo camera smart hub) connected to the outdoor satellite and it shows full wifi signal. Why is the satellite not extending the range very far? Do I need to add another satellite in the barn to bring wifi farther out? If so how do I connect the additional satellite to the outdoor satellite?  I have called Netgear but they just want to charge me for support. I'd love some feedback. I have had these for a few years and they have never worked the way I was told they would. I could really use cameras in my calving areas. 

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wifi in Steel Building-Outdoor Satellite

Steel building will inhibit wifi signal travel. 

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Wifi in Steel Building-Outdoor Satellite

It would be helpful to have a bit more detail about "where everything is".  (a rough diagram would be great.), especially where is the Arlo Hub located in relation to the Orbi RBS50Y, barn, and cameras.  Unless I am mistaken, Arlo cameras connect via WiFi to the Arlo Hub rather than directly to the WiFi network.  My understanding is that Arlo cameras are capable of connecting over a substantial distance "depending on things":

https://www.arlo.com/no_no/support/faq/37/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-wire-free-camera#:~:text=You%20c... 

In general two factors affect WiFi connections:

• Distance.  5G WiFi is affected more by distance than 2.4G WiFi.
  • Objects in the path, such as walls, trees, hidden metal ducting, metal foil insulation, etc.
    With the RBS50Y mounted outside facing the barn, this would eliminate issues with "getting outside", but if the cameras are inside a metal structure and at a distance, this will severely affect WiFi.

There are two solutions that appear to be effective:

1. "Choice A" is to install an Ethernet cable (up to 90m).  This provides the highest performance.  It is also often impractical.  Although the cable is relatively inexpensive, installation can be very costly. (penetrating two building envelopes, crossing hardscape, etc. etc. which leads to
  2. "Choice B" is to install a pair of wireless bridge units. These consist of WiFi access points that have directional antennas which concentrate the signal in one direction (rather than the omnidirectional antennas of conventional access points).  They are rated in terms of kilometers rather than feet. Often one or both units can be located indoors and still beam the signal through the walls and across the physical gap between structures. (A metal barn may require one unit to be located on the outside of the barn.)

I'd suggest searching on Amazon for "wireless bridge point to point outdoor" and read the reviews.  They almost always feature comments from users about specific projects.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7