Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Will Orbi bought in India work in USA?

varunbhardwaj10
Aspirant

Will Orbi bought in India work in USA?

Hi,

I have a Netgeat Orbi router and satelite which were bought in India, will these work in USA with step up transformers? The adapters supplied by Netgear with these are marked for 200 and above.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Will Orbi bought in India work in USA?

Are you able to select the north america region for the router? 

That'll be the key. the power supplies are easy to adapt (and might work without it)

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What model Orbi are you referencing? 

@varunbhardwaj10 wrote:

Hi,

I have a Netgeat Orbi router and satelite which were bought in India, will these work in USA with step up transformers? The adapters supplied by Netgear with these are marked for 200 and above.

Message 3 of 5
varunbhardwaj10
Aspirant

How to check region change?
Message 4 of 5

@varunbhardwaj10 wrote:

I have a Netgeat Orbi router and satelite which were bought in India, will these work in USA with step up transformers?

You don't need stepup transformers. You need mains adaptors ("step down" transformers) that work in the USA. Much cheaper then a 120 > 240 volt transformer.

It is a little known secret that many of the 240-volt adapters supplied by Netgear and others are really dual voltage 120/240 Volt transformers. They will work on either voltage  – I have done it – and will deliver the right output for the router.

The good news is that if you plug a 240-volt transformer into a 120-volt socket, it isn't likely to blow up or harm your devices. (That's not true of 120 volt stuff plugged into 240 volts.)

The bigger question is can you set the Orbi router to the North America region for things like wifi. Fortunately, things sold outside the USA are usually easiest to change than things made for the USA where, possibly for legal reasons, they are locked to USA channels.

The manual for your devices should tell you where to look for regional settings.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7