Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired Backhual Installation Problem

Afon
Aspirant

Wired Backhual Installation Problem

Hi Community,

Started my installation today and hit a problem. I should first highlight that I've got a fairly long and old property that is actually split in two. In the past I've used a combination of access points, powerline, extenders and a CAT5 cable between the buildings, but it has never been great and thought I'd invest in fixing once and for all.

Installed router and made sure everything was working within range, all great. Added the 1st satellite and still all good. I was hoping that with the extended range there was a chance the 1st and 2nd satellites would bridge between the buildings wirelessly, but no joy (not a shock).

Couldn't find any real instructions on wired backhauls, so went ahead and plugged the existing CAT5 I use to bridge the buildings into the port one of both the 1st and 2nd satellites. To be clear, I can't get wire from router to 1st or 2nd.

After a few minutes it all seemed to work and was getting 90Mbps in the 2nd property. Too good to be true and a few minutes later the wifi disappeared. Returned to the main house to check and there is now some funny stuff going on in devices:

• 2nd sat is showing as connected to 1st sat (fine), but with a 2.4G connection and poor backhaul. Would have expted it to show wired.
  • On the other hand, a bunch of devices are now showing as wired and connected to the 2nd sat.
  • As an example, I'm sat next to the router and my phone is showing as wired to the 2nd sat (which it can't even see wirelessly).

Tried juggling the cables, restarting different devices and re-synching, but no joy. Hoping this is a simple configuration somewhere, but I'm stumped (and hoping there isn't some restriction such as having to be wired to router).

Cheers

David

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wired Backhual Installation Problem

Heres how I got a friends wired back haul working:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Any managed switches in the mixed? if so, Mfr and model#? NON managed switch work best with Orbi systems. Something about Managed and Orbi don't get along.

Be sure to disable Daisy Chaing on the router.

Message 2 of 11
Afon
Aspirant

Nothing else in the mix. Replaced my BTHomeHub with the Orbi Router is all.

With regards to daisy chaining: a) where is the option to enable/disable, can't find it while scanning around, b) I originally thought I wanted the daisy chaining as my propery is long, with the router starting at one end.

Message 3 of 11
Afon
Aspirant

Thought I was on the latest firmware, but reading your thread I'll have a go on .16. Nothing to lose as it doesn't work currently.

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Look under Advanced tab, Advanced settings/Wireless settings.

You can give daisy chain a try however I don't know if it it's needed for wired back haul satellites. May only work with wireless satellites piggy backing off each other in a line. You can try it and see how it goes.

Message 5 of 11
Afon
Aspirant

It does appear that the latest firmware with Daisy Chain disabled has sorted some of the weirdness, which implies wired and daisy aren't playing nicely with one another.

This may be an issue going forward as I suspect I'll need a 3rd satallite daisy chained over wireless to the 2nd wired one to give me the full coverage I'll eventually need.

R  <--wireless--> S1 <--wired--> S2 <--wireless--> S3

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Any chance of wire connecting S1 to R?

Message 7 of 11
Afon
Aspirant

Nope. In theory I could use a powerline bridge, but to be honest I'm more or less back to what I had with my previous setup.

Given that I've also checked and do need an S3, my inclination is to try Linksys and see if that can pull off the hybrid wired/wireless daisy chain with that kit.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distances between each stalllite? 

Maybe using wireless daisy chain would work...

Message 9 of 11
Afon
Aspirant

Unfortnately I tried that intially to no avail. I shifted them as close as I could to windows in the respective buildings, but it is still about 30m with no direct line of site. The 2nd building is also a modern conversion with foil sheet insulation, so it is a bit like a faraday cage, especially the end towards the main house.

There is a chance another satellite in an outbuilding could create a hop, but I'd be at 5 devices at that point and given the cost I'd revert back to my current solution. Especially as I was hoping the new solution would resolve issues with iOS roaming, but I still seem to be getting some problems.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

100 feet is too far for these satellites. Starting distance is about 30 feet from the router. Maybe up to 50 feet. My 1 satellite is 40 feet from the router. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7