Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wired Satellite Dropping Wired Connections

lokimon
Tutor

Wired Satellite Dropping Wired Connections

I have 2 Orbi Satellites Wired Directly to the Orbi Router.  (Star Configuration)

I have a couple of computers wired into one of the Satellites.

Every 15-20 minutes, those computers lose their connection to the router.

I am no longer able to ping 192.168.1.1, until something resolves itself and it comes back.

I have no idea how to debug this.  If I plug the wire going to the Satellite directly into one of the computers, I do not have this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Wired Satellite Dropping Wired Connections

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 10
lokimon
Tutor

The Cable modem is a Arris Surfboard SB8200

There is no switch, the satelite wire runs through the wall into the basement and connects directly to the router.

3000 square foot house.  The satellites are wire backhauled, not wirelessly connected.

This really isn't a wireless issue.  The issue I'm having is with the wired computers.

Router -> Satellite -> Computer 1

-> Computer 2

All those connections are wired.  If I take out the the satellite and connect directly to either computer, the issue of the computer losing connections goes away.  If I put the satellite there, both computers lose the ability to ping the router every 15-20 minutes, but then it comes back after a couple of minutes.

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@lokimon wrote:

I am no longer able to ping 192.168.1.1, until something resolves itself and it comes back.

I have no idea how to debug this.  If I plug the wire going to the Satellite directly into one of the computers, I do not have this issue.

Are you running some sort of "Ping Plotter" program, or have a Command window open with a ping command running constantly?

Or, do you notice a "problem", then open a Command window and attempt to ping?

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What Catagory is the cabling between the router and RBS? 

@lokimon wrote:

I have 2 Orbi Satellites Wired Directly to the Orbi Router.  (Star Configuration)

I have a couple of computers wired into one of the Satellites.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 5 of 10
lokimon
Tutor

No ping plotter, just running
ping -t 192.168.1.1

And watching the output. I will get lost packets every 15-20 minutes for a minute or so, before it comes back.

This does not occur when I take the satellite out of chain and connect directly to over if the computers.
Message 6 of 10
lokimon
Tutor

Running latest firmware, but I have not factory reset. I have done that in the past for other issues relating to getting devices to show up correctly under attached devices. But now that I have the 40 or so wifi devices set up with the right names/icons it would suck to lose all that with a factory reset.
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make a back up configuration to file.

Message 8 of 10
lokimon
Tutor

I have found a coorelation between the satellite losing its route to the router and one of the computers that is plugged into the router connecting to the work VPN.  I'm not sure why that should happen or what to do about it.  I don't think this is something that has been happening since I got this system.

When I connect to VPN on one of the computers that is connected to the satellite via wire, the satellite (connected via wired backhaul to the router) has intermittent issues connecting to the router (192.168.1.1).

Any ideas?

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

No switches in between the RBR and RBS? 

What happens if you wired behind the other RBS, does the problem follow? I presume you dont' see this if your wired directly behind the RBR?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

What Catagory is the cabling between the router and RBS? 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7