Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wireless and Gaming - Any hope?

mingcyu
Aspirant

Wireless and Gaming - Any hope?

Have RBR50, Firmware V2.7.2.102 and wireless gaming through GeForce Now is unplayable. I mainly play Fortnite with my son (he's on a switch) and I get spotty connection indicator on wireless constantly. On Ethernet its not a problem. And yes I performed a factory reset and it does not fix the problem. I have 30 devices, of which one is a Google Hello.

My Internet provider is AT&T Fiber, 1 GB. Using various speed tests I can get 300-350 on wireless. I'm about 10 feet away from the Router. Router is in AP mode. Any hope that I can get this to work without having to run a cable across the room? 

Everything else in the house works fabuously (4K streaming, school, work (I work in IT Development and Support)).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back on been performed since last update?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Wired will always be best for gameing.

Wireless speeds will max out at around 400-500Mpbs, depending upon device design and support. You'll never see anything near 900mpbs on 5ghz AC. You will on a wired connection.

Message 2 of 6
mingcyu
Aspirant

The last thing I tried was setting transmission preamble from automatic(default) to short. Then GeForce Now became super responsive. I will continue to test tomorrow just to make sure it want just because everyone else is asleep
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Let us know how it turns out. 

Message 4 of 6
mingcyu
Aspirant

Tested during the day while kids were in school, and understandably performance was poor.

At the moment, have one streaming movie and one kid working on home work it was more manageable.   Will keep testing...

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The gaming and heavy streaming devices, you'll want to try and wire connect those devices. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7