× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

compatibility of the satellites and others

justintan
Aspirant

compatibility of the satellites and others

Hi

i am looking to purchase the orbi and i am from singapore. i reckon i will need 4 satelites. 

in singapore this orbi is sold as a 2 pack, router and 1 satelite. i am thinking of getting extra satalites on amazon or overseas. 

becasue the singapore version is customised to local isp settings (vlan tagging i beleive) , i am wondering if extra satalites will be compatible?

also, can i check at what signal strength does it change the connection to the satalite ? the problem i am had was it does not change even at poor signals using 1 ssid, and hence i hv set my network to individual ssid so users can just manually change connection themselves. 

last question is if i use it as a ap, would max speed drop? i am using the amplifi from ubiquiti, and with a connection of 1000mbs, i am getting only 100 on the ubquiti which is crap.... but i use it as a ap becasue my isp modem is really very badly positioned in the building, blocked by so many walls and in the far end of the house. 

thanks.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

Re: compatibility of the satellites and others

hi and welcome

lets work backwards on your answers

there isnt a domestic router or mesh system / dw system that can do the full 1000M speeds from wan to lan and that even with all qos and routing features are disabled although 100M is a bit slow and i would have expected more from the ubiquiti , i believe the orbi can do around 350M or so

the second sat may work fine from O/S as the vlan is done on the router not the sat's

your question about roaming is a difficult one but here my sony mobile phone roams quite well between the orbi router and sats quite well , placement of the router and sats however is the key , not to close and not to far away

how big is the place you are in as an orbi router and 3 sat's would cover about 8,000 square meter or about 600 sq meters which is a dam dig house

pete

Message 2 of 4
justintan
Aspirant

Hey Pete thanks for getting back to me. 

can i check if the orbi will lose speed if used as an ap? Sorry noob question. 

Also i have another problem. My ISP modem is in a very very bad position in the house. 

Its in the corner of ground floor, with the door facing opposite of the living room. its a dog room. 

it is also stored in a cupboard. imagine corner of house, door

facing the road. walls block the living room. Thats how bad it is. I am really not sure in such a case

should i use it as a router although i would really love to. 

does the mesh system require the router to be the centre of it all, or will the overlap between

satellites be enough to provide great signal? 

if i use the router as an ap, do i still need to have it central, or just treat it as another satellite? Thanks. 

Message 3 of 4

hi , the orbi isnt mesh , its distributed wifi and yes the orbi router need is the center of the network as orbi is a star topology

yes the router still needs to be the central device even in ap mode

but you can have router in the dog room , sat 1 across the other side of the ground floor and second sat middle of the first floor , that would work ok

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series