× NETGEAR would like to hear from you about specific features so we can improve your experience. To participate in this survey please click HERE.
Reply

disabling LAN ports on on RBS50

Vandergraff
Apprentice

disabling LAN ports on on RBS50

I am trying to disable the LAN ports on an RBS50 and following instructions here

 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/DISABLE-LAN-PORTS-ON-RBS50/m-p/1719465#M55199

 

That is:

-----------------------

  1. From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  2. Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  3. Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  4. Use Telnet from your computer to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
  5. Enter the following commands:
    • config get dgc_netif_lan_phyif    --> printout should be eth1 for RBS50
    • ifconfig eth1 down      --> use the value that you got from the previous command
    • ifconfig commit

---------------------

Everything seems to work OK until last step - when enter 'ifconfig commit' I get 'ifconfig: commit: error fetching interface information: device not found'

 

Ideas or suggestions?

 

Note the print out for 'config get dgc_netif_lan_phyif' is eth1 so eberything seems to work up to there?

 

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: disabling LAN ports on on RBS50

I have not tried the telnet LAN blocking. However, in a previous job we installed products to physically lock the RJ45 ports: https://www.amazon.com/NTW-NL-PBK10-WH-Locking-Blocker-Color/dp/B00KN1HMXY/ref=pd_sbs_147_t_0/136-78... 

I love my Orbi.
Message 2 of 9
Vandergraff
Apprentice

Re: disabling LAN ports on on RBS50

I am starting to realize even blocking the ports (physical or in the firmware) may not be enough.

 

The Sync button still allows push button WPS - anyone with physical access to the router can connect using WPS. As far as I can tell there is no way to disable the sync / WPS function on the RBS50.

 

For my situation it looks like the Orbi Outdoor Satellite (RBS50Y) would be best. Its in an separate (normally locked) building - but for security I would prefer that anyone who has physical access can't access my network.

 

The RBS50Y has no ethernet ports and the sync button is disabled after the intial sync with the router. It is more than I would like to pay - but seems best option.

 

 

 

 

 

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: disabling LAN ports on on RBS50

Disabling ports on the RBS is not supported. Thus why you see the config error when you try to apply the change. 

 

You might try Voxels 3rd party FW over on smallnetbuilders forum. 


@Vandergraff wrote:

I am trying to disable the LAN ports on an RBS50 and following instructions here

 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/DISABLE-LAN-PORTS-ON-RBS50/m-p/1719465#M55199

 

That is:

-----------------------

  1. From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  2. Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  3. Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  4. Use Telnet from your computer to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
  5. Enter the following commands:
    • config get dgc_netif_lan_phyif    --> printout should be eth1 for RBS50
    • ifconfig eth1 down      --> use the value that you got from the previous command
    • ifconfig commit

---------------------

Everything seems to work OK until last step - when enter 'ifconfig commit' I get 'ifconfig: commit: error fetching interface information: device not found'

 

Ideas or suggestions?

 

Note the print out for 'config get dgc_netif_lan_phyif' is eth1 so eberything seems to work up to there?

 


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: disabling LAN ports on on RBS50


@Vandergraff wrote:

The Sync button still allows push button WPS - anyone with physical access to the router can connect using WPS. As far as I can tell there is no way to disable the sync / WPS function on the RBS50.


I asked a person who is writing custom firmware about disabling the sync button.  He confirmed there is no configuration setting to do so, mostly because it is a requirement that WiFi access points have a sync button.  He did say that a person could hack some of the "button code" in the router, but made no guarantee (a) that it would work, or (b) that the hack would not be overwritten with any new firmware release.

 

I put this in my "things to try" file for some time when I won't mind having to do a factory reset and reconfig if I screw it up.  Not any time soon.

 

Of course, if someone REALLY wanted to disable the sync button, he could open the case and snip a wire leading to the switch (if the switch isn't soldered directly to the circuit board).  Or, glue something over the button that someone would have to break off to get at the switch.  Or, put some Crazy Glue in the switch so it won't move any more.

I love my Orbi.
Message 5 of 9
Vandergraff
Apprentice

Re: disabling LAN ports on on RBS50


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Disabling ports on the RBS is not supported. Thus why you see the config error when you try to apply the change. 


Why not? Seems a strange decision given that the Orbi Outdoor Satellite (RBS50Y) has no Ethernet ports (for somewhat obvious security reasons).

 

The RBS50Y seems functionally very similar to the RBS50

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: disabling LAN ports on on RBS50

The RBS50Y has no physical ethernet port to disable.
I love my Orbi.
Message 7 of 9
Vandergraff
Apprentice

Re: disabling LAN ports on on RBS50


@CrimpOn wrote:


I asked a person who is writing custom firmware about disabling the sync button.  He confirmed there is no configuration setting to do so, mostly because it is a requirement that WiFi access points have a sync button.  He did say that a person could hack some of the "button code" in the router, but made no guarantee (a) that it would work, or (b) that the hack would not be overwritten with any new firmware release.

 

 


Thanks for checking.

 

The very similar RBS50Y does have the sync button disabled after the satellite connects to the router. Obviously makes sense for a product that can be outdoors but make me wonder about the 'requirement that WiFi access points have a sync button'. I also know other brands where WPS / Sync can be disabled.

 

I ended up buying the RBS50Y which is working perfectly.

Message 8 of 9
Vandergraff
Apprentice

Re: disabling LAN ports on on RBS50


@CrimpOn wrote:
The RBS50Y has no physical ethernet port to disable.

Understood - but why not allow the functionally similar RBS50 to turn off the Ethernet ports?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1410 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E