Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

docsis3.1 cable modem router

mgreene007
Follower

docsis3.1 cable modem router

Does Orbi come in a docsis 3.1 cablemodem router configuration. I have a 2000 sq ft. condo and Cox is requireing one!

I use Orbi router with 2 sattilites at home and LOVE it!

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: docsis3.1 cable modem router

Netgear has packaged one Orbi with a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem in the case (not 3.1)

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/cbk40.aspx

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

If you already have an orbi setup, I'd just buy a docsis 3.1 modem and keep using your current setup. My own opinion is seperation of modem and router are the best because if a combo device fails, you've lost router and modem. cheaper to replace, plus you're in control of your own firmare updates versus the isp controlling firmware. 

Message 3 of 4

@plemans wrote:

If you already have an orbi setup, I'd just buy a docsis 3.1 modem and keep using your current setup. My own opinion is seperation of modem and router are the best because if a combo device fails, you've lost router and modem. cheaper to replace, plus you're in control of your own firmare updates versus the isp controlling firmware. 

I'm with @plemans but with the added advice that you check that you can a modem only version. Many docsis devices are modem/routers. In Netgear's range look for the CMXXX model numbers rather than anything CXXXX.

Another advantage of having a separate router is that cable modems are locked down by the Internet service providers, which do not allow anyone to update firmware on modems. So you can end up with a modem/router where the router bit is not as up to date as it can be with a separate router.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7