Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ethernet backhaul for ORBI in AP mode

taohat
Star

ethernet backhaul for ORBI in AP mode

I was going to get a dedicated wired router as the internet gateway (thinking about EdgeRouter X) and run Orbi in AP mode. So, internet will come in to the WAN port of the gateway router.

Now, If I connect an RBR50 (AP mode) and an RBS50 to 2 LAN ports of the gateway router, will I be able to get ethernet backhaul between the RBR50 and the RBS50? I have read some old posts and am quite confused about a few things. (1) for RBR50 to connect to the gateway LAN port, should RBR50's WAN or LAN port be used? (2) should daisey chain be enabled or disabled for the ethernet backhaul to work?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
taohat
Star

Re: ethernet backhaul for ORBI in AP mode

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can use either WAN or LAN ports on the Orbi router, however if you use the LAN port on the Orbi router, the top LED will turn on PINK and remain ON. The dectection behavior in router or AP mode for the top LED depends on the use of the WAN port. I guess it's how NG designed it. The WAN port does work for AP mode and would be preferred if you connect it in AP mode. It won't bother anything else. Leaves the rest of the ports open for use if you want to use them. 

Be sure to use non managed switches if you do use them. 

I got the following setup to work so that Orbi router RBR50 is in AP mode and it is ethernet backhauled with the RBS50 satellite.

Internet > gateway router > gateway router LAN port #1 > RBR50 (AP mode)

|

> gateway router LAN port #2 > RBS50

For the Orbi router RBR50, either WAN or LAN ports worked to connect to the gateway router. You are right. Using WAN port, the top LED on RBR50 is not on. However, the web display of client device connections are quite wacky. Devices connected to RBS50 are shown as wired connected to RBR50. If LAN port on RBR50 is used to connect the gateway router, the top LED on RBR50 remains on. But in this setup, all client devices are correctly shown in web interface. To turn off the LED, you just need to connect a wired always on device to the WAN port. Looks like in AP mode WAN or LAN ports all become LAN ports. As long as it detects something connected to the "WAN" port, the LED will not remain on. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

The short answer is "no".  Connect Orbi satellites to the Orbi router (base unit), NOT to anything else.   The Orbi router (even if it is put into Access Point (AP) mode, is connected to your gateway using the WAN (yellow) Ethernet port on the router to the gateway.  The only thing that connects to the gateway is the Orbi router.  The Orbi satellites can connect to the Orbi router using either WiFi backhaul or Ethernet cable, but they must connect to the Orbi.

Daisy Chain has to do with the way the satellites connect to the base unit.  If each satellite has a separate link to the base unit, they are not "Daisy Chained."  If one satellite is connected to another satellite (which is connected to the base unit), that is what "Daisy Chain" means.

Please forgive me if I have not understood your question.

Message 2 of 6
taohat
Star

@CrimpOn wrote:

The short answer is "no".  Connect Orbi satellites to the Orbi router (base unit), NOT to anything else.   The Orbi router (even if it is put into Access Point (AP) mode, is connected to your gateway using the WAN (yellow) Ethernet port on the router to the gateway.  The only thing that connects to the gateway is the Orbi router.  The Orbi satellites can connect to the Orbi router using either WiFi backhaul or Ethernet cable, but they must connect to the Orbi.

Daisy Chain has to do with the way the satellites connect to the base unit.  If each satellite has a separate link to the base unit, they are not "Daisy Chained."  If one satellite is connected to another satellite (which is connected to the base unit), that is what "Daisy Chain" means.

Please forgive me if I have not understood your question.

Thanks! I thought by connecting both Orbi base unit and Orbi satellite to the LAN ports of the gateway they are LAN bridged and therefore would enable ethernet backhaul. It is like the last setup in this netgear guide

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

with the switch in the picture becoming a wired router (which is actually a gateway + LAN switch). The other thing is Orbi base is running in AP mode and from what I read in some old posts it seems that Orbi base in AP mode could use either its WAN port or LAN port to connect to the gateway router. Using LAN port instead of WAN port actually provides better communication to Orbi satellites in the same system. See this old thread.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Ethernet-Backhaul-Best-Practices/m-p/1486737#M21229

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use either WAN or LAN ports on the Orbi router, however if you use the LAN port on the Orbi router, the top LED will turn on PINK and remain ON. The dectection behavior in router or AP mode for the top LED depends on the use of the WAN port. I guess it's how NG designed it. The WAN port does work for AP mode and would be preferred if you connect it in AP mode. It won't bother anything else. Leaves the rest of the ports open for use if you want to use them. 

Message 4 of 6
taohat
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I got the following setup to work so that Orbi router RBR50 is in AP mode and it is ethernet backhauled with the RBS50 satellite.

|

For the Orbi router RBR50, either WAN or LAN ports worked to connect to the gateway router. You are right. Using WAN port, the top LED on RBR50 is not on. However, the web display of client device connections are quite wacky. Devices connected to RBS50 are shown as wired connected to RBR50. If LAN port on RBR50 is used to connect the gateway router, the top LED on RBR50 remains on. But in this setup, all client devices are correctly shown in web interface. To turn off the LED, you just need to connect a wired always on device to the WAN port. Looks like in AP mode WAN or LAN ports all become LAN ports. As long as it detects something connected to the "WAN" port, the LED will not remain on. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

That works too. 

Yes, when in AP mode, the WAN port becomes a LAN port. However the top LED dectection still only detects the WAN port connection so if you don't use it, the top LED will come on. The behavior yoru seeing with connections with clients connected to the RBS is correct. Since the RBS is wire connected thru the GW router then back to the Orbi base, the data is seen a wired connections not wireless. 

Glad it's working for you. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@taohat wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

|

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7