Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

failed firmware update

bb0818
Tutor

failed firmware update

I have an orbi RBR50 with RBS50 satelite.  I purchased them some time ago.  The firmware version in the firmware update page shows v1.2.0.6 (really old).  It always showed "no new firmware version available".  It has worried me because I suspected that there were some security issues.

I finally checked what the current firmware version was on netgear and found that the current version was 2.7.1.60.  Decided I'd better update!

Instructions for manual update were to do the RBS first.  When I did it, the rbs failed to reconnect.  (magenta ring).

Thought the versions might be too far apart so I atried to update the router.  When I try to upload the 2.7.1.60 RBR (RBR50-V2.7.1.60.img) firmware it comes up with "this firmware is incorrect".

I still have a router that works, but won't connect to the satellite.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
bb0818
Tutor

Re: failed firmware update

I was successful getting the router and satelites up to the current version.  I'm going to lay this out so that if someone looks at it its all in one place.  Thanks to FURRYe38 for the information.  He came up with the fix(es).  I'm just putting it together for the next guy.

Problem:  Router (RBR) and Satellite (RBS) were at v1.2.0.6.  When Satelite updated, would not talk to Router.  Router would not accept update to v2.7.1.60 (said file was incorrect).

Steps to Solve

To get Satellite working again hard connected from computer to a port on the RBS.  Computer was addressed 192.168.1.245 (had to be in 192.168.1.xx network).  Pressed factory reset and waited until the top ring turned magenta (2 minutes or so) and then launched a web browser to 192.168.1.250 (the RBS automatically trys to come up on that address if it can't connect to the RBR).  Uploaded v1.2.0.6 firmware (to get everything up to a working state).

Upgraded firmware in the following order:

RBR and RBS to v1.12.0.18 (the last of the v1 versions)  Couldn't go to v2.0.0.74 from where I was.

RBS to v2.7.1.60

RBR to v2.0.0.74

RBR to v2.2.1.212

RBR to v2.7.1.60

Don't know if i needed to do all of them, but got from FURRYe38 couldn't go directly from v2.0.0.74 to v2.7.1.60.  It all worked out, and I'm now fully up and connected!

Thanks again to FURRYe38@ 

View solution in original post

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to update to v2.0.0.74, then v212, then you go go to v40. 

I believe you can put v74 first on the RBS then go directly to v40, Do the RBS first. The RBR you have to install those versions of FW in that order to get it past v1. 

Message 2 of 6
bb0818
Tutor

Thank you for your reply.  I have the firmware, but I don't know how to get it onto the RBS.  It does not show on the RBR, and as far as I can tell it doesn't have an IP address.  I think I can upgrade the RBR to this version, but I'm clueless as to how to get it on the RBS.  I hope you can help me.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

Message 4 of 6
bb0818
Tutor

Yes, the hardwired trick worked like a charm.  I did find that it didn't work to go to 2.0.0.74.  The router still said it was not a good file.  I went to v1.12.0.18 and both the RBS and RBR updated (I'm running there now).  Ran out of time, but is suspect that it both will go from here to 2.0.0.74 just fine.  Then its just a matter of multiple updates to get to the current version!

Thanks so much for your help.  I'll update when I finally get to current version.

Message 5 of 6
bb0818
Tutor

I was successful getting the router and satelites up to the current version.  I'm going to lay this out so that if someone looks at it its all in one place.  Thanks to FURRYe38 for the information.  He came up with the fix(es).  I'm just putting it together for the next guy.

Problem:  Router (RBR) and Satellite (RBS) were at v1.2.0.6.  When Satelite updated, would not talk to Router.  Router would not accept update to v2.7.1.60 (said file was incorrect).

Steps to Solve

To get Satellite working again hard connected from computer to a port on the RBS.  Computer was addressed 192.168.1.245 (had to be in 192.168.1.xx network).  Pressed factory reset and waited until the top ring turned magenta (2 minutes or so) and then launched a web browser to 192.168.1.250 (the RBS automatically trys to come up on that address if it can't connect to the RBR).  Uploaded v1.2.0.6 firmware (to get everything up to a working state).

Upgraded firmware in the following order:

RBR and RBS to v1.12.0.18 (the last of the v1 versions)  Couldn't go to v2.0.0.74 from where I was.

RBS to v2.7.1.60

RBR to v2.0.0.74

RBR to v2.2.1.212

RBR to v2.7.1.60

Don't know if i needed to do all of them, but got from FURRYe38 couldn't go directly from v2.0.0.74 to v2.7.1.60.  It all worked out, and I'm now fully up and connected!

Thanks again to FURRYe38@ 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7