Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

my stable orbi (router + 1 satellite) config

steph_
Tutor

my stable orbi (router + 1 satellite) config

on the off chance that this might help somebody (and also in case i forget) since i was having connection issues here's my config (everything else was left to default).

router:RBR50

satellite:RBS50

region: europe

firmware: V2.1.1.16

basic -> wireless : manually selected channels

advanced -> advanced setup

-> wireless settings

2.4Ghz

20/40Mhz Coexistence: unchecked

WMM: unchecked

5Ghz

Backhaul

Daisy-Chain: unchecked

Bottom of page

Beamforming: checked

MU-MIMO: checked

Fast Roaming: unchecked

-> UPnP

UPnP: unchecked

<your router IP address>/QOS_main.htm

Enable WMM settings: unchecked

Turn Internet Access QoS On: unchecked

Enabled Upstream QoS: unchecked

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
steph_
Tutor

Re: my stable orbi (router + 1 satellite) config

the config i posted was stable for a couple of days but since i noticed the fact that with WMM disabled it reduced the connection speed to 802.11a (54Mbps) i'm not impressed with the entire situation. factory reset everything and i'll be sending it back. this is actually the first time i've ever sent a purchase back. it's not worth wasting my time anymore. in it's current state with the current firmware the orbi isn't functionning as promised/advertised.

back to using my asus.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
steph_
Tutor

i just noticed with the above setup 5Ghz seems to be limited to 54Mbps (802.11a)...

quite frankly all this messing about is quite ridiculous. i was expecting more. since i already have an asus router i might switch over to ai-mesh once it's supported on my router.

Message 2 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@steph_ wrote:

on the off chance that this might help somebody (and also in case i forget) since i was having connection issues here's my config (everything else was left to default).

router:RBR50

satellite:RBS50

region: europe

firmware: V2.1.1.16

basic -> wireless : manually selected channels

advanced -> advanced setup

-> wireless settings

2.4Ghz

20/40Mhz Coexistence: unchecked

5Ghz

Backhaul

Daisy-Chain: unchecked

Bottom of page

Beamforming: checked

MU-MIMO: checked

Fast Roaming: unchecked

-> UPnP

UPnP: unchecked

<your router IP address>/QOS_main.htm

Enable WMM settings: unchecked

Turn Internet Access QoS On: unchecked

Enabled Upstream QoS: unchecked

...and I noticed this config does NOT include another router.  I see where several folks on here continue to run the Orbi with another/original/old router.  Although Orbi claims that this is OK, why and what benefits does this provide.  Could this possibly be the cause of some of the unstability that some experience?

Message 3 of 11
godspeed
Apprentice

@Retired_Member  The reason i run my Asus AC68 as my router, is that it has a TON more features and security than the Orbi does (as a router).  Using custom firmware (merlin), i can set 3 different types of QOS, i have built in network protection via AIProtection (Trend Micro), i can assign different DNS settings to different devices (using OpenDNS to filter the bad stuff out of my kids devices).  The Asus router also has a PROPER guest network, where my main network is entirely hidden from the guest network.  With Orbi, their guest network still allows guests to "see" ALL devices (guest or non-guest), with even some protocols (bonjour,etc) still accessible from the guest network to the non-guest (serious security flaw).

The reason i bought the Orbi (for $199, Walmart), is because i can not run ethernet to a central location in my house, and i just wanted a wireless system that would cover my 2800 sq ft house.  200 bucks is probably cheaper than hiring a home network installer to run cabling, although i am now considering it, just to get a single router to the center of my home.

Message 4 of 11
netgearguy
Apprentice

Regarding above, I know a lot of people just don't care, but turning off 20/40 coexistence is also not a "good neighbor" choice (not to mention I doubt it has any impact on stability). 

- 20/40Mhz Coexistence: unchecked

Message 5 of 11
godspeed
Apprentice

@steph_ wrote:

i just noticed with the above setup 5Ghz seems to be limited to 54Mbps (802.11a)...

quite frankly all this messing about is quite ridiculous. i was expecting more. since i already have an asus router i might switch over to ai-mesh once it's supported on my router.

Yea, i just noticed this too...my AC devices are dreadfully slow, limited to 54Mbps...why they heck does disabling WMM drastically affect the speed?!

Message 6 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for your response.

I had the same Asus router and never thought of running with the Orbi.  I guess for me I'm not into all the different configurations you mention.  That stuff drove me crazy years (20+) ago that today all I need is a good stable Wi-Fi through my 2000 sq. foot home.  At this point I'm not sure how much time I'll give the Orbi.  So far things are humming along.  If it wears me down, I'll take it back to Costco and go back to an Asus router which may prove to be where I should have stayed.  Enjoy your Orbi / Asus marriage.

Message 7 of 11
RXIT
Guide

I have been trying to run the orbi system by itself and am having stability and speed issues.  I'm about to crate it back up unless customer support can come through with a fix soon... or at least a reply.

Message 8 of 11
steph_
Tutor

the config i posted was stable for a couple of days but since i noticed the fact that with WMM disabled it reduced the connection speed to 802.11a (54Mbps) i'm not impressed with the entire situation. factory reset everything and i'll be sending it back. this is actually the first time i've ever sent a purchase back. it's not worth wasting my time anymore. in it's current state with the current firmware the orbi isn't functionning as promised/advertised.

back to using my asus.

Message 9 of 11
Hydro130
Luminary

Out of curiosity, why do want/need to disable WMM?

Message 10 of 11
steph_
Tutor

the connection was unstable with it enabled.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7