Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rbk13 satellite shows blue light, but still shows backhaul as poor

Satish_K_S
Aspirant

rbk13 satellite shows blue light, but still shows backhaul as poor

Hello,

I got RBK13 (1+2) dual band mesh wifi in the month of September 2020.  I have ground plus one floor.  Since I am doing WFH now, I have kept one Satellite in first floor and one on the same floor as that of router (ground floor).  The distance between router and the first satellite is 30 ft.  The backhaul is good.

The second satellite which is in the first floor shows blue light, but backhaul is poor.  I tried moving it around, but still it shows poor backhaul.

On the calls, I do see frequent signal drops.  I have updated to latest firm ware available and connect my ISP modem to Orbi Router in AP mode.

Further, I am trying to get additional satellite (3rd one), I dont know if this helps also.  Further, I am not getting add on Satellite RBK10 in India.  I checked with Netgear Store as well as in Amazon.

Can someone help me here.

Regards,

Satish

Model: R6100|AC1200 Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 4
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: rbk13 satellite shows blue light, but still shows backhaul as poor

Try shutting off all satellites (temporarily).Then see if the problem is with Sat # 2 hardware or it's location.

To see if there is a good signal path between base and Sat # 2:

Bring the sat #2 close to base unit and let it connect.  Once it gets a strong connection, move it to the location you want it to be at. See if it still maintains the strong connection.  If it does not: there is some obstruction impeding the backhaul connection of Sat #2 at its final location.

To see if the problem is with the sat #2 unit itself:

Switch Sat # 1and Sat # 2 units.  If the problem follows the Sat #2 unit, it is the sat # 2 hardware. If the problem stays at the Sat # 2 location, the problem is the location (bad signal path).

Message 2 of 4
Satish_K_S
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.  Over the Christmas holiday and the weekend, I was trying to setup things like you said, but still I see an issue with Backhaul.  Initially, for about 6 hours I got Backhaul status good on Thursday, but after that, it is still the same.  I have not changed the position post Thursday that is the day when I got status as good for both Satellite.

I have updated the firmware of router as well as both the satellite, but now I am getting another problem.  The router is frequently showing no internet.

Message 3 of 4
alokeprasad
Mentor

Power off all satellites. Try factory reset on the router and set it up from scratch.

Then set up the satellites.  Set up the satellites one by one at a good location (30 ft away).  When they are each set up with good backhaul, move them to their destination locations.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7