× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

satellite kills wired connections

timorbi
Aspirant

satellite kills wired connections

I've been using an Orbi router for about a week, it's connected directly to a fast WAN modem, and has a wired connection (using LAN ports at both ends) to an Orbi satellite in another room.

Both have several devices connected to them physically, as well as provided wifi.

All was fine until last night, when the network failed overnight and I was left with no wired or wifi LAN this morning.

To fix the problem, I switched the router off and on - this restored wifi connectivity, but the wired connections still didn't work - I couldn't log on to the router let alone reach the wider world from any of my 'wired' devices.

Then I tried switching off the satellite, and this immediately restored connectivity to both wired and wifi devices - except of course for those devices relying on a wired connection to the satellite, and wifi is now worse in most parts of the house.

Any ideas anyone?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
timorbi
Aspirant

Re: satellite kills wired connections

I've discovered that if I break the wired connection between my router and satellite (then relying on wireless between the two), the wired connections from other devices start to work again almost immediately.

This seems a waste though of the cabling installed in my home from one room to another, and I don't understand why the wired arrangement would have worked ok before, but not now.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: satellite kills wired connections

If this Orbi is less than 90 days old, I would not hesitate to use Netgear's 90 days of "Complimentary Support".  On the Netgear product registration page, there is a link to "get support".

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7