Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: varying speeds from test orbi rbr20 with 1 satellite

rroussel01
Follower

varying speeds from test orbi rbr20 with 1 satellite

I am getting 3 different speeds depending on the test I run

on orbi app I get 463 download, 14 upload, and 17 ping

on speed test app I get 176 download, 9 upload, 64 ping

on my computer over wifi I get 49 download, 3 upload and 36 ping

why such a difference?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

When you run it in the orbi app, it hosts the speedtest directly off the router. If it picks the best server (it doesn't always) its going to give you the most accurate speeds. 

I'm assuming the "speedtest app" is ran off a phone? And therefore wifi? Same with the pc? 

The pc could be running off 2.4ghz since orbi does band steering. 

And depending on your phone, it could be multiple things. such as the phone having a 1x1 antenna setup, distance, interference, 2.4ghz, etc. 

The most reliable speedtest is hardwired into the router and running speedtest (and trying different servers on speedtest). 

Message 2 of 4
Mstrbig
Master

Speed tests are going to vary, depending on many things. As a baseline, run the speedtest built in the app. Then any wireless speedtests will vary greatly depending on distance from the router or satellites, interference, (experiment with different channels), settings of both the Orbi system and the devices. I find, if I have a device that supports 5Ghz but connects to 2.4Ghz all the time, forget the WIFI network on the device, then relogin. However the device will go back to 2.4Ghz if the signal strenght on 5Ghz is below a certain threshold.

Check your Orbi settings under Advanced/Advanced Settings/Wireless setting, in the WEB interface, and uncheck "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence", check "Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings", "Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING" and "Enable MU-MIMO"

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@rroussel01 wrote:

I am getting 3 different speeds depending on the test I run

on orbi app I get 463 download, 14 upload, and 17 ping

on speed test app I get 176 download, 9 upload, 64 ping

on my computer over wifi I get 49 download, 3 upload and 36 ping

why such a difference?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation