× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

wifi dropping,

liteuser
Aspirant

wifi dropping,

Hi all

I have read through some of the posts already posted on here to help fix my issues, with no success.

I am sorry if this is duplicated some where............

Here is my situation....... 

I have limited network skills.

I have spent hours on trying to fix this problem and will end up selling the kit i have,,,,, so this is the last chance Orbi has.

I would like orbi to work without BT smart hub 2, but that seems a goal even further away................

I had bought the orbi RBR50m in 2017, hoping that it would help my limited broadband and wifi issues,,,,,,, as the speeds were too slow the orbi system did not work...... Now i have great speeds, YAY!! so was happy to get Orbi up and running.

I have BT FTTP, Fibre 100 installed yesterday.,,,

a white box ONT under the stairs,  from this is a cat 5 cable going in to the red WAN port on the back of

The BT Smart Hub 2.

a CAT 5 cable from the Ethernet port on the BT Smart Hub 2 into,,,,,

a CAT 6 socket which is hard wired to the office in the middle of the house.

Orbi sits there with a CAT 6 cable plugged into the yellow Internet port on the back of it.

So, basically directly linked to the BT Smart Hub 2.

I have a 24 port netgear switch plugged in to Orbi to feed the rest of the house which is all hard wired with cat 6 cable.

i have rename the ssid from orbi89 to BT Smart Hub 3,

The problems i am experiencing, again,,,, exactly the same as back in November 2017.....

Wifi dropping, randomly, completely even though i am sat in the lounge or in the kitchen,,,, i do not have to be moving about.

The Orbi satellite dropping out completely which is situated upstairs.

I have an app that controlls my outside soffit led downlighters. i can only sync 2 of the 4 controllers.

my phone orbi app does not connect "WiFi Not Detected"

my Ipad does..........

what i have tried.

changing to AP mode on Orbi and turning off Wifi 2.4 and 5on the BT Smart Hub 2.

Following the steps that another person on here suggested

2.4ghz channel 6

5ghz channel 48

beamforming enabled

mimmo enabled

wmm enabled

armor disabled

circle disabled

daisychain disabled

fast roaming disabled

ipv6 disabled CAN NOT do this as in AP mode it will not let you.

20/40 mhz coexistence disabled

short preable enabled

and various random tweaks unsuccessfully and then resetting back to factory settings.......

i would be eternall greatful, of any help to get me to the otherside,,,,, i really want Orbi to work.

thank you in advanced

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: wifi dropping,

Your home hub would be a router here.  This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

I would try option #2 first. 

I would change out the CAT5 cable for CAT6 cable. I recommend running same CAT level for all cabling. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 4
liteuser
Aspirant

Hi Furrye38

thank you soooo much for the info, I really appreciate your time in responding.

i have spent at least 5 hours today,what feels like me going round and round in circles and achieving nothing.

i really hope it works as I love the thought of every room having Wi-fi, the  ring cameras connecting with good reception etc. And I would like to put an outdoor orbi in the garden.

I will pick up some cat 6 network cables tomorrow. I will then go for option 2 as you have recommended.. 

BTW....

I have just got my hands on a TP-link ac1200 modem router, model number. Archer VR400,,,,,, would this be better to use instead of the Bt smart hub 2 or does it not matter about what the orbi is 'plugged" into ?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

EIther model will work. However since these modems have a built in router already, these either need to be bridge fully do the Orbi router is the only router online, or try option #2 with the modem and Orbi router, or you'll need to configure AP Mode in option #3. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series