× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

wired ports not working

kin-mye
Tutor

wired ports not working

Hi.

Summary: I cannot use direct wired connection with router RBR350 alone (without satellites), but wifi works. Any idea?

Details:

I am trying to install a Orbi RBR350 with 2 satellites.

The wired ports do not work well. So to simplify the localization of the issue my network now is very simple: Huawai MODEM (getting optical fiber) -> Orbi Router -> Laptop

The problem is that when I connect laptop using a ethernet cable direct to the router, it does no work: I can ping a remote host, but I cannot use a browser or wget. (Using wget -d it stops after Initiating SSL handshake, and does not print "handshake successful").

In fact, it started to work in a given moment, not sure why. Then, I moved forward to use the switch/satellite and it stopped again (wifi again ok). Now it is not working, even with first setupt (direct connection router-laptop) and after reboots (first switch on modem, then router, connect, etc.). Wiki connection is ok.

I can connet to the configuration page of the router, both using wifi or cable. The IP, DNS, speed test, seems to be ok.

The firmaware seems to be the last one 4.3.4.8 (but I did not update manually).

I have seen some posts that recommend to disable daisy chain for some cases: I could not find this option in the configuration page (anyway, right now the satellites are turned off.)

This is what I want to do and how I started:

MODEM -> Orbi Router -> Switch (unmanaged) -> Orbi satellites and other wired devices. 

I was able to configure the router to remove the one provided by telco company (VLAN, PPPoE credentials, NAT filtering open; use MAC of original router, leave the suggested MTU value for PPPoE 1492, which I think was also the value in the original router).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kin

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
kin-mye
Tutor

Re: wired ports not working

I have found a thread in the AX with same issue. I was not aware of this forum. I will post my updates there and therefore, I close this thread. Thanks both of you for your replies.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@kin-mye wrote:

The problem is that when I connect laptop using a ethernet cable direct to the router, it does not work: I can ping a remote host, but I cannot use a browser or wget. (Using wget -d it stops after Initiating SSL handshake, and does not print "handshake successful").

I can connect to the configuration page of the router, both using wifi or cable. The IP, DNS, speed test, seems to be ok.

I was able to configure the router to remove the one provided by telco company (VLAN, PPPoE credentials, NAT filtering open; use MAC of original router, leave the suggested MTU value for PPPoE 1492, which I think was also the value in the original router).

First, removing the switch and satellites is a good first step in diagnosing the problem.

Some parts of the problem appear inconsistent. "Cannot use a web browser" when the web browser is used to connect to the configuration page of the router.

It is not clear (to me) why the MAC address of the previous router had to used rather than the hardware MAC. (It should not cause a problem, and maybe it has something to do with PPPoE?)

I agree that the same applications should work whether the laptop is connected via ethernet or WiFi.  The wget -d command that works over WiFi should work over an ethernet connection.

Message 2 of 9
kin-mye
Tutor

Hi.

Thanks for your reply.

I can use the browser to open the router configuration page. But I cannot connect to any external webpage.

In my country, getting the PPPoE credentials is not that easy. To be honest, I did not try to talk with the internet service provider but followed some tutorials that explain how to get it. In some of these tutorials they say the internet provider only attend requests from the specific mac of the router they give you. Changing the mac allowed me to connect to internet (e.g., no blinking leds, I can do the speed test from the configuration page or the app, wifi is working)

Maybe is an issue with the configuration of PPPoE, etc., but as the internet works (speed test, wifi to see webs, videos, etc.) I think it has to be something in the router. No idea where to look at.

Kin

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

I have zero experience with PPPoE. Using the previous MAC address makes sense.

This is very much a puzzle.  Anything that works over WiFi should work the same way over an ethernet connection.

Netgear provides 90 days of 'complimentary support' with a new purchase.  I sense that telephone support is not practical from your location.

There is a link on the product registration page to "Contact Netgear".  By the time I had a problem, my 90 days was long past, so I have no experience with how that works.  Maybe it would offer you a way to get an answer?

On a side note.  As the Orbi product line has evolved, Netgear appears to have made subtle changes in options that were part of the original product.  Options to enable/disable SSID Broadcast, Daisy Chain, MIMO, Beamforming, Fast Roaming, etc. seem to have been dropped. Perhaps back in 2016 there was concern over whether consumer devices would be compatible? (No one knows and Netgear doesn't seem to be interested in explanations.) This causes confusion when people find references to options that no longer exist in the newer products.

Message 4 of 9
kin-mye
Tutor

Thanks. I think Netgear has a good technical support in my city. If I got good info, I'll post it here.

Message 5 of 9
kin-mye
Tutor

oh, and thanks also for the information about changes in the options. I was not sure if these options did not apply to my model, or what was the issue.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 7 of 9
kin-mye
Tutor

I have found a thread in the AX with same issue. I was not aware of this forum. I will post my updates there and therefore, I close this thread. Thanks both of you for your replies.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7