Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

wireless audio device isn't holding the signal

jkra
Aspirant

wireless audio device isn't holding the signal

Hello,  i have tried as much as i can to get my como audio wireless radio devices to hold a constant signal but i'm out of ideas. maybe someone here can help. I have 4 como audio (https://www.comoaudio.com/) devices. Basically like a Sono system but different. The devices can't seem to hold a steady wi-fi signal. I have run the airport utilty and found that interference from my neighbors isn't an issue but to be on the safe side i picked channel 6 which no one else is using and the devices are still  dropping the signal. I changed the trasmit power control on the satellite to 25%.  I have a 1400 square foot house so all the devices are close to the main or the satellite orbi.  I have tried shutting down the security cameras etc. to no avail.   Any thoughts? I don't know enough about creating a network that can be used only by the como audio devices, if anyone thinks that may be it please let me know how to create the network. thank you very much in advance. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: wireless audio device isn't holding the signal

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Do these devices have there own wifi signal? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Creating a network exclusively for the speakers is probably not a useful subject to persue.  Audio consumes practically zero bandwidth.

Can you explain how the transmit power on the satellite was turned down?  (I am aware of the web interface, Advanced Tab->Advanced setup-> Wireless Settings.  These controls are for 2.4G and 5G.  As far as I know, changing transmit power affects every Orbi unit.  i.e. going to 25% on 2.4G makes every Orbi reduce to 25%.  This may not be what you want.)

It sounds like you are successful at getting the speakers to recognize the Orbi WiFi network and connect to it.  Correct?

Have you had an opportunity to see which Orbi each speaker connects to, and on which channel? (2.4G or 5G.  The documentation says they support both.)  Ordinarily, I never open the Orbi "app", however I find one feature of the app useful.  When I select Device Manager and select a device, the app shows the "data rate" that the device has.

Could you describe more about "what happens"?

Message 3 of 14
jkra
Aspirant

Thank you for the response. I was hypothosysing that the 5ghz is some how interfering with the 2.4.  So in the setting menu they seemed to allow me to turn just the 5 g down since there is a corresponding one for 2.4. (The googleshere gave me that suggestion to try).  Ideally I would make everything 2.4 but there doesn't seem to be an option to turn 5g off.  When I unplug the satellite things do seem to get more stable but I need the sat for the studio outside of the house which has a streaming tv in it. Yes the como audios work well when they do work but it's the annoyance of the dropped signal that I'm trying to solve.  I notice Sonos people have the same issue but They also seem like they can create their own parallel network which como can not do. Each como is an individual streaming radio device so not just a speaker.  Lots of variables at play.   

Message 4 of 14
jkra
Aspirant

Thank you for the response I have the arris surfboard sb8200 it's just a cable router no wifi capabilities. The sat is in that range and I did switch everything to channel 6 after using a device to see whose using what channels around me. 6 was open. I set the Orbi to 40 but it's still dropping. 

Message 5 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@jkra wrote:

Thank you for the response. I was hypothosysing that the 5ghz is some how interfering with the 2.4.  So in the setting menu they seemed to allow me to turn just the 5 g down since there is a corresponding one for 2.4.

5G cannot "interfere" with 2.4G.  They are in totally different radio spectrums.  Do you have more than one of these cool radios?

What happens if you turn on only one of them?  (Not forever, but long enough to test whether it works or not.)

Message 6 of 14
jkra
Aspirant

Thanks again. Yes I have four of them placed around the house. That’s what I mean by interference, not with the 2.4 g but with the inner workings of the device itself. It is seeing two different signals coming in and gets
Confused. Good suggestion on your part to only turn one on. Will try that. Thank you.
Message 7 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Which came first, the Orbi or the audio devices?  If you haven't already, you may want to try resetting the audio devices.

If you had the audio devices before the Orbi, did they work with the old router?

I have several internet radios (Grace, etc) and every once in awhile I'll have to power it down and let it find the Orbi again. 

Pay close attention when selecting your network on the audio device network setup.  I had a situation on the Grace where it displayed 2 Orbi's (maybe because of the different freqs) and had to try both and play with it before it settled down.  Not sure what that was all about.

Good luck

Message 8 of 14
jkra
Aspirant

I turned on only one of the como audios this morning and it hasn't once dropped the signal. So I guess it's not the orbi but the ability for the comos to synch with each other.  Does that sound right? I really lack the understanding of how a wifi mesh system works to truely know if it's the orbi or the devices.  and yes I've had this issue with the google mesh system I had previously. I switch to the orbi thinking it would solve the problem.  

Message 9 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@jkra wrote:

I turned on only one of the como audios this morning and it hasn't once dropped the signal. So I guess it's not the orbi but the ability for the comos to synch with each other.  Does that sound right? I really lack the understanding of how a wifi mesh system works to truely know if it's the orbi or the devices.  and yes I've had this issue with the google mesh system I had previously. I switch to the orbi thinking it would solve the problem.  

Not sure your combos are synching with anything other than the Orbi, unless they do some sort of file sharing (music, etc) between each player..  If all is well with only one como audio on I would look closer at the setup of each of those devices.

Any help from the como audios manufacturer ?  If so, make sure you mention the Orbi and the mesh network.

Message 10 of 14
jkra
Aspirant

They all have the ability to all play the same station/vinyl across each device similar to a Sonos system except the comos have a built in radio streaming ability in each stand alone device. Tom who created the como system has been responsive but we have never been able to come up with a fix. That’s kind of why I reached out to the Orbi community hoping someone here might have an answer. Thanks so much for taking the time!
Message 11 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Not sure if this is your problem, but came across it in the owners manual:

Keep network connected
This option allows you to define whether the unit remains connected to its network in standby
mode. This is necessary for App operation, audio streaming in Music Player mode, and recapturing
the time after a power outage (if Auto Update from Network is selected). We strongly recommend
keeping the network connected.
Note: This option is forced to ‘Yes’ when part of a multi-room group.

Message 12 of 14
jkra
Aspirant

thanks for the thought. I do have the multi group on, so it's by default turned on.  I have been pairing different units this morning after seeing that a solo unit does not drop the signal. I have found two of the units work well together with no drops so far. One of the other units does drop when connected. So, it's either that the distance is too far for the comos to synch or some other problem.  Seems specific to the Como's so i thank you all for taking the time and i will go back to trying and figure out whats going on with the como audio devices themselves.

Message 13 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Nice troubleshooting

Yeah, I was also going to suggest to bring all the comos close together (same room or table top) and work from there.  Then one by one move them to the desired location.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7