Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX4200 Orbi WiFi 6 (RVR750) not serving anywhere near ISP speeds

RockoF
Aspirant

AX4200 Orbi WiFi 6 (RVR750) not serving anywhere near ISP speeds

I've had years of luck with a Nighthawk X6 R7900 and decided to upgrade when I moved.  Installed a CM1000 Docsis 3.1 modem (only) and an Orbi Mesh setup - AX4200 WiFi 6 RBR750.  Setup went well however I noticed that when wired directly to the router, Internet speeds are ~ 100Mb/s.  Speed tests within the Orbi app and management console reflect the 900Mb/s I expect from the ISP - somewhat ruling out an issue with the modem and the modem's connection to the Orbi router.

Since the speedtest speeds across multiple PCs seemed to hover around 100Mb/s, it seemed that something in the middle might be negotiating at a higher speed.  Ruled this out by directly connecting to the router as well as verifying all LAN ports on the router reported 1000M/Full.  

I've performed numerous restarts of the modem and router, a factory reset, and after speaking with Netgear support, lowered the MTU to 1468 and set the Preamble Mode to short - all with no success - ethernet connected PCs continue to cap off at ~ 100Mb/s.  Hardwiring to satellites ironically gives a little better performance however is till 6x slower than my expected bandwidth.

I've tried various Cat5e cables with the same results.  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.  The system has been boxed for a bit so unfortunately, coming up on the 90 days and wanted to get a resolution / RMA before my time is up.  Thanks much.

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AX4200 Orbi WiFi 6 (RVR750) not serving anywhere near ISP speeds

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Message 2 of 13
RockoF
Aspirant

Re: AX4200 Orbi WiFi 6 (RVR750) not serving anywhere near ISP speeds

V4.6.5.14_2.0.54

Thanks.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AX4200 Orbi WiFi 6 (RBR750) not serving anywhere near ISP speeds

What speed test app are you using on the computers? Ooklas Installable speed test app is recommended. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.

Message 4 of 13
RockoF
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.  I manually updated the firmware as suggested by Netgear.  After this, performed a factory reset from scratch using the Orbi app from a smartphone to step through this install.  Still seeing huge descrepancies from the ookla speed tests.

2021-10-20 09_24_47-Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.png2021-10-20 09_23_28-NETGEAR Router Orbi.jpg2021-10-20 09_24_47-Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.png

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

And thats with a wired PC? Your ethernet adapter is reporting a connection rate of 1000Mpbs  on the PC? 

Have you tired changing to a different test server on the Ooklas speed test app to compare? 

One test to try, power OFF the ISP modem and connect 1 wired PC to the modem. Power ON and then speed test to check this. 

You might open a support ticked and contact NG support about this.

Message 6 of 13
RockoF
Aspirant

Appriciate the help with this.  Unfortunately I've had the system boxed up for a while so upport runs out tomorrow.  I've opened a ticket and have been given some settings to try along with the factory reset all with no success.  

Indeed, a wired connection which is all the more troubling.  Thanks again.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Well can't help much if the system is not online and boxed up. 

Hopefully NG support can help you out. 

@Blanca_O 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 13
RockoF
Aspirant

Oh, it's online now.  It's just that I lost the first 30 days of my 90 day NG support in a box while moving.   I've been trying to resolve the last several days with a combination of cable swaps, restarts, resets, param changes, etc. so open to any experimentation. 

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

And thats with a wired PC? Your ethernet adapter is reporting a connection rate of 1000Mpbs  on the PC? 

Does a different wired PC exhibit same thing? 

Have you tired changing to a different test server on the Ooklas speed test app to compare? 

One test to try, power OFF the ISP modem and connect 1 wired PC to the modem. Power ON and then speed test to check this. 

Message 10 of 13
Dust8713
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issue with my RBK752. Direct connection laptop to modem via Cat6 results in 500+Mbps (what I pay for). Laptop to RBR via Cat6 with Modem to RBR via Cat6; I get 150-250Mbps at best. 5Ghz connection on my laptop and IPhone both get 500+Mbps, even from my RBS on 5Ghz backhaul. I’m about to get Fiber 1Gig set up soon, and thus, was going to set up a wired backhaul, but what’s the point if the “claimed” Gigabit Ethernet ports are not producing?
Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@Dust8713 wrote:
I am having the exact same issue with my RBK752. Direct connection laptop to modem via Cat6 results in 500+Mbps (what I pay for). Laptop to RBR via Cat6 with Modem to RBR via Cat6; I get 150-250Mbps at best. 5Ghz connection on my laptop and IPhone both get 500+Mbps, even from my RBS on 5Ghz backhaul. I’m about to get Fiber 1Gig set up soon, and thus, was going to set up a wired backhaul, but what’s the point if the “claimed” Gigabit Ethernet ports are not producing?

Message 12 of 13
RockoF
Aspirant

Thanks - let us know if you have better luck.  I'm going to return my setup.  I have a known good cable plugged directly into the router and cannot get over 150Mb/s (multiple PCs) while the Oorbi console confirms that it sees a 900Mb/s+ connection from my ISP.  I've done my fill of resets and tweaks for a $400+ device.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7