Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX4200 daisy chain has stopped working

reverendtom
Aspirant

AX4200 daisy chain has stopped working

I have an RBK53 Orbi system, with one router and two satellites. I have the router hard wired to one satellite, and then the third satellite at the far end of the house (but closest to the second satellite) connecting wirelessly. For the last three months, the system automatically set the best configuration as daisy chain: router -> hard wired -> satellite 1 -> wireless -> satellite 2. For some reason, starting a few weeks ago the system dropped the daisy chain configuration and the second satellite tries to connect directly to the router. This connection is very faint, drops occassionally, and has low bandwidth when connected. The daisy chain setup was substantially faster and very stable. Nothing has changed in my setup - this just started happening randomly. I have tried multiple reboots, made sure I am on the latest firmware, and swapped the two satellite unit locations. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions as to how I can get the system to return to a daisy chain configuration?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 22
reverendtom
Aspirant

For some added detail, I have attached a screenshot of the connected satellites in the admin UI. You'll note that both connect to the router and the Bedroom connection is "Poor". However, the Bedroom satellite is much closer to the Living Room satellite then it is to the router. So, I'm not sure why it won't daisy chain and use that satellite for its connection.

Message 2 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Ensure the RBS FW is the same as whats loaded on the RBR.

Power OFF The RBS for 1 minute, then power ON the 1st RBS, let it sync. Then power ON the 2nd RBS.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 3 of 22
reverendtom
Aspirant

- Current firmware is v4.6.3.16_2.0.51. I have confirmed all three units are on the same version.

- ISP modem is a Centurylink C3000Z.

- My entire home is around 3400 sq ft. The distance between router and satellite 1 (Living Room) is about 25 ft. Satellite 1 to 2 (Bedroom) is around 30ft. The router and satellites are all in a line, so the distance from satellite 2 (Bedroom) to router is 55+ ft, so I'm not sure why it keeps trying to connect, rather than connecting to the much closer satellite 1 (Living Room). 

I tried the power cycling you recommended (I have done this several times previously), but it did not work. The satellite comes on, tries to connect to the router at 5GHz, which results in a Poort connection. After some time, it drops down to 2.4Gz which is considers a Good connection. The satellite will then toggle back and forth between 2.4 and 5 GHz, with the connection stability bouncing back and forth. For some reason, it won't just connect to the closer satellite.

I have used this exact Orbi layout for over two years now without issue, as the system correctly configured itself in a daisy chain. I had an older Orbi system which I upgraded in February, and the new one has also been working fine (daisy chain) since then. It is only the last couple of weeks that this has changed.

Message 4 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you configure the #1 RBS for wireless connection. 

One thing you can try, try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 5 of 22
reverendtom
Aspirant

Thanks! I dropped the power output down to 50% and that seemed to do that trick. That doesn't impact the range of the network, does it?

Message 6 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

It can to some degress. If this helps then go with it for now and see how it does for a few days. 

Message 7 of 22
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

Netgear called me on 9/23/21 as a follow up on my open case resulting from the forced update. Before the update, my second satellite daisy chained off the satellite closer to the rbr. After the update, both homerun back to the router. The further router shows a consistently good connection although wi-fi performance at the far end of the house is reduced. I told support about this and they're supposed to schedule another call to collect more debug logs.

I haven't cut the transmitter power because it worked before the update.
Message 8 of 22
reverendtom
Aspirant

Interesting. So this could be the result of a recent firmware update?

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep. 

Message 10 of 22
reverendtom
Aspirant

Your solution worked for awhile, and then I just updated to the latest firmware that was released on October 8 (4.6.5.14). That, unfortunately, caused the issues to recur. Even with the transmit power set at 50%, the far bedroom unit will not connect to the nearest (hard wired) satellite to daisy chain. Instead, it connects to the router with a poor 2.4 GHz signal. I tried bringing the transmit power back up to 100%, but that did not fix the problem.

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 

@reverendtom wrote:

Your solution worked for awhile, and then I just updated to the latest firmware that was released on October 8 (4.6.5.14). That, unfortunately, caused the issues to recur. Even with the transmit power set at 50%, the far bedroom unit will not connect to the nearest (hard wired) satellite to daisy chain. Instead, it connects to the router with a poor 2.4 GHz signal. I tried bringing the transmit power back up to 100%, but that did not fix the problem.

Message 12 of 22
reverendtom
Aspirant

I just did a factory reset, per your instructions, biut when I brought all of the units back online the issue is still there. I can't seem to get the furthest satellite to daisy chain and connect to the nearest satellite. It insists on connecting to the router, with the backhaul connection listed as "Poor". I've tried setting the transmit power control to both 100% and 50%. Is there any way to fix this? Or I am stuck with an underperforming satellite with an unstable connection until a possible future firmware update fixes this?

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you try 25% on the RBR? 

Power cycle the farthest RBS first then reboot the RBR...the RBS should connect to the other RBS...

Message 14 of 22
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

@reverendtom wrote:

I just did a factory reset, per your instructions, biut when I brought all of the units back online the issue is still there. I can't seem to get the furthest satellite to daisy chain and connect to the nearest satellite. It insists on connecting to the router, with the backhaul connection listed as "Poor". I've tried setting the transmit power control to both 100% and 50%. Is there any way to fix this? Or I am stuck with an underperforming satellite with an unstable connection until a possible future firmware update fixes this?

For me, daisy chain stopped working with the first 4.x firmware and hasn't been fixed with the later versions. It was working with no issues and no jumping through hoops to get it working while on the original 3.x firmware and subsequent 3.x updates. Clearly NG support knows that the capability used to exist and should be working now because it is one of the first failures that I reported to NG support and it has been an ongoing data collection topic of support sessions with NG second level support. If it wasn't supposed to work, wouldn't they have said that it is no longer a feature of the Orbi?

It's not a catastrophic loss in my set-up because I still have the connectivity I need, but performance is degraded. (about equivalent to the old inexpensive TP-Link extender that I used with my old Nighthawk) In other words, make the capability work again, it's one of the reasons I bought an expensive mesh network - to IMPROVE the PERFORMANCE compared to an old wifi extender.

Message 15 of 22
reverendtom
Aspirant

The power cycling and reboot of the router worked.....for about 24 hours. Then the furthest satellite dropped the "Good" connection to the nearest satellite and reverted to the "Poor" connection to the router.

Message 16 of 22
reverendtom
Aspirant

Also, I tried setting the transmit power control to 25% but that did not fix the problem either.

Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I would open up a support ticket with NG support and let them know what your seeing. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

@reverendtom wrote:

Also, I tried setting the transmit power control to 25% but that did not fix the problem either.

Message 18 of 22
reverendtom
Aspirant

Unfortunately, that's not an option for me. My complimentary 90 day support has expired, and I'm not about to spend $89.99 to purchase support to allow Netgear to try to help me fix a problem they caused in the first place via a buggy firmware update.

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Make contact with a forum moderator and see what options you have and let them know what your seeing.

@DarrenM @Blanca_O 

Message 20 of 22
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @reverendtom

I've received and responded your private message. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 21 of 22
zaralarsnor
Aspirant

Daisy chaining is enabled as default so don’t worry about it. Also, if any satellite is not found you will get to retry; just move it closer and hit try again. 👍 nicki minaj

Model: AX742|Prosafe 24 gigabit stacking kit
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7