Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding RBS850 Satellite slows system to a crawl

Jumpster
Follower

Adding RBS850 Satellite slows system to a crawl

I have a (very) long house with the internet access at one end, so I need to place the RBR850 router at that location.  My home office is at the opposite side of the house.  I have three satellites (Bridge, Bedroom, Office) that, given their location I would assume would connect in a daisy chain fashion - that is

Router-->Bridge-->Bedroom-->Office

Each of the orbis are approximately the same distance apart in a rough line.

However, the network map ends up like this

Bedroom

/

Router-->Bridge

\

Office

In this configuration my speed connecting to the Office Orbi frequently drops to <2 Mbps or even 0.  If I unplug it completely, my speed in the office is much more reasonable, but not what I would expect.  

How can I get the Office orbi to connect to the bedroom orbi instead of the Bridge?

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Adding RBS850 Satellite slows system to a crawl

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 and RBS to RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Also how the RBS are turned on can effect how they connect. Turning on the RBS one at a time and let them sync fully can get the RBS to daisy chain correctly. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Can also try turning down the transmit power on the RBR and see if this helps. Try 50%.

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 3
FarmerBob1
Luminary

Re: Adding RBS850 Satellite slows system to a crawl

Anyway to get the RBR/Router into your Office and have it, as it sounds, in the middle of the house? My set up is about the same and I purposely have the RBR in the middle of the house. It makes all the difference in the world. Then there's "hard wiring" the Back Haul even to just one Satellite.

Unfortunately, when using Mesh Systems there are variables that need to be accommodated. The system needs to fit your installation needs within its ability for your location; and your location needs to meet the system "halfway" at least by giving it the minimum requirements to operate. Well then maybe another, if things work halfway decently and the requirements have been met, "massaging" the settings and capabilities of the system to "fine tune/finesse" it to your needs may/will need to be done. Then you should be golden.

One thing that is being discovered with Mesh Systems is that, as asked by @FURRYe38 the distance of the Satellites. Is that these systems can get in their own way. Having too many Sats too close together can cause more problems than having one Sat go through a brick wall. Over saturation is like having twenty plus radios all on different stations blaring with you right in the middle of them. Now tell me which one is playing your favorite song.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7