Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Adding an Outdoor Orbi Satellite to a WiFi 6 System

netvista
Follower

Adding an Outdoor Orbi Satellite to a WiFi 6 System

I just installed an Orbi AX4200 (RBK753S) and would like to add an outdoor satellite. Can I use the RBS50Yv2 — High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite?  Or do I need to get something else that is compatible with a WiFi 6 system?

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If you load the Extender mode FW on the RBSY, then yes you can. It won't work if Orbi mode FW is loaded. 

Message 2 of 6
CalvinL
Initiate

I am using the Orbi WiFi 6 System (RBK752) AX4200 Tri-band 2 pack at home. Now, I consider to purchase Add-on Orbi Outdoor Satellite (RBS50Yv2) AC3000.
However this outdoor product is AC series which is diffent from AX. Would it be degraded the home network performance? Are they compatiable?

In the Netgear website, Orbi Outdoor Satellite RBS50y and RBS50yv2 is only for AC3000.
Would the Netgear release a newer outdoor model for AX series in near future?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If you load the Extender mode FW on the RBSY, then yes you can. It won't work if Orbi mode FW is loaded. 

NG doesn't post any information on if or when new products will be forth coming. 

@CalvinL wrote:

I am using the Orbi WiFi 6 System (RBK752) AX4200 Tri-band 2 pack at home. Now, I consider to purchase Add-on Orbi Outdoor Satellite (RBS50Yv2) AC3000.
However this outdoor product is AC series which is diffent from AX. Would it be degraded the home network performance? Are they compatiable?

In the Netgear website, Orbi Outdoor Satellite RBS50y and RBS50yv2 is only for AC3000.
Would the Netgear release a newer outdoor model for AX series in near future?

Message 4 of 6
SeaRefractor
Apprentice

As posted previously, the outdoor product can be used in extender mode with the appropriate firmware loaded.    However, remember as an AC3000 product, it's WiFi 5 and can only provide that level of performance.    In addition, as an Extender it will not be using the Orbi 5Ghz Backhaul, it extends as a "client".    This means that at "BEST" it'll connect to your AX4200 at Radio 2: 866Mbps @ 5GHz, but your client devices that connect to it will get about half as it's not using backhaul.  Is the cost of the outdoor worth about 422Mbps peak as extender on 5GHz and far less for 2.4Ghz?

As for degredation, it'll result in the lower performance anytime a device associates to that AP.    As the outdoor is quite a strong signal, it'll likely be selected by a large number of devices.    The result is reduced performance, although technically your WiFI 6 devices that connect to your AX4200 will be performing as expected.   I'd still call it degraded though.

For the significant cost of the Outdoor RBS50Y with the lower performance when not used with an AC3000 system, I'd strongly recommend saving your coin for a future AX outdoor solution.     Other consideration is if you can put a weather safe enclosure over the RBS750 and use one of those outdoors.   As long as it's plastic (or non-metallic) it shouldn't interfere with the WiFi 6 signal strength.   A number of companies make nice plastic clamshells to put AP's outdoors.   Just measure and then search for the right size.    Many are very reasonable in cost (less than $50.00).

Message 5 of 6
CalvinL
Initiate

Thank you for your advice Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements