Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Alternative Options for Outdoor Extender

MiddKid
Guide

Alternative Options for Outdoor Extender

I have an AX6000/RBK853 system with three nodes all with wired backhaul.  System is working great for our family of 5.  I have a large outdoor space with a finished treehouse that I want to get WiFi signal to.  The obvious option was to go with the Orbi Outdoor Extender until I noticed the many comments about it only working as an extender and not being fully integrated into the AX6000.  Recently, compounding that issue, is the fact that they are not in stock anywhere.  To me this suggests that perhaps Netgear is working on an udpated version but no word of it at CES or anything...

My question is has anyone else had luck with a non-Netgear/Orbi solution?  While my existing satellites are hardwired, I'm looking for the outside solution to be wireless only.  Just want to plug in power.  Appreciate any suggestions.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
MiddKid
Guide

Re: Alternative Options for Outdoor Extender

Just wanted to close this out with my final solution in case anyone stumbles across this thread with a similar question.

Replies here that referenced waterproof enclosures got me thinking about how I could piggyback a signal without the outdoor extender.  I realized that I have a window in my office (near an existing ethernet port that is wired to the main router) that faces our backyard treehouse window.  So my solution was:

• Went to Costco and bought a new 3-pack of the AX4200 (after confirming that AX4200 satellites work with my existing AX6000 network)
  • Put one of the new satellites in the office window with wired backhaul back to the main AX6000 router
  • Put the second satellite out in the treehouse window
  • Going to sell the extra AX4200 router on eBay

So for slightly less than the cost of the outdoor extender (net of the sale on eBay) I got two more satellites providing great coverage AND they show up as part of my mesh network (unlike the outdoor extender).  Speeds are fantastic...one of my daughters has moved to the treehouse for the past two weeks for virtual school with zero issues.

Thanks all for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

NG RBS50Y will work with the Orbi AX if you use the extender mode FW on the RBS50Y.

You might see if @Mstrbig has an alternative that I believe uses a outdoor case box to put a indoor RBS unit in...

Message 2 of 7
MiddKid
Guide

What's werid about the RBS50Y is that it is sold out in the vast majority of retailers (including Netgear themselves).  I just clicked through on a bunch of sites and they are all sold out or backordered.  The only one that I thought may be in stock was Office Depot but when you go through their checkout flow it says 3/2/20...which to me suggests it's also out of stock.  It's been like this for awhile which to me suggests there may be a new model coming...literally can't find it anywhere!

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

That happens. 

Message 4 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

@MiddKid wrote:

My question is has anyone else had luck with a non-Netgear/Orbi solution?  While my existing satellites are hardwired, I'm looking for the outside solution to be wireless only.  Just want to plug in power.  Appreciate any suggestions.

If you don't care about your coverage being part of your mesh system, you could install a WiFi Repeater / WiFi Booster / Signal Extender. Set it in AP mode and you will be able to have a back yard wifi network for phones, tablets streaming movies, videos and music, etc.

If you prefer to have your mesh extended to your outside area, You could get a matching AX satellite to what you have now and an outside weatherproof router box large enough to accomodate the satellite and power supply.  You would have to have electricity available where you want to locate a device. Outdoor repeaters come in all shapes, sizes, coverage and price.

Message 5 of 7
MiddKid
Guide

Just wanted to close this out with my final solution in case anyone stumbles across this thread with a similar question.

Replies here that referenced waterproof enclosures got me thinking about how I could piggyback a signal without the outdoor extender.  I realized that I have a window in my office (near an existing ethernet port that is wired to the main router) that faces our backyard treehouse window.  So my solution was:

• Went to Costco and bought a new 3-pack of the AX4200 (after confirming that AX4200 satellites work with my existing AX6000 network)
  • Put one of the new satellites in the office window with wired backhaul back to the main AX6000 router
  • Put the second satellite out in the treehouse window
  • Going to sell the extra AX4200 router on eBay

So for slightly less than the cost of the outdoor extender (net of the sale on eBay) I got two more satellites providing great coverage AND they show up as part of my mesh network (unlike the outdoor extender).  Speeds are fantastic...one of my daughters has moved to the treehouse for the past two weeks for virtual school with zero issues.

Thanks all for your help.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know.

Please mark your thread as solved. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies