Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cell phone constantly drops connection to RBS750

Bobfireman
Aspirant

Cell phone constantly drops connection to RBS750

This is kind of weird, so bear with me.

I have a RBR750 and a single RBS750. They are about 30' apart in a 1400sq ft house. . The RBR750 is in my home office at the far end of the housei and s connected to a ARRIS S3 modem.The RBS 750 is in the middle of the house. My service is Xfinty 1.2gb service.Speeds on my desktop computer hardwired into the RBR750 are typically in the 970mb download, 42mb upload.

Here is what is weird. My cell phone (Google Pixel 4a (5G)) cannot maintain a wifi signal when it is connected to the RBS750 (the satellite). When I am in the middle or far end of the house (the opposite end of the house from the RBR750), or anywhere on the far end of the property, the phone cannot maintain a connection. The wifi disconnects completely, or I get a "no internet" message, even though it appears I have a great connection (via the signal icon on the phone).

I thought there was a problem with the satellite, so I powered down the modem and RBR/RBS units and then turned them back on, one by one. That didn't resolve the problem.

I know this is an issue with the phone, because other devices on the end of the house that would be covered by the satellite have no problem staying connected (a couple of security cameras, ROKU TV device, along with my Ipad and my wifes Iphone) do not exhibit this problem, even while my phone is showing a dropped connection. When I have my phone in the home office, where it is wirelessly connected to the RBR750, the phone does not drop it's connections.

I did a network reset on my phone, which erased all network, mobile data and bluetooth connections, and then re-established the wifi connections. Didn't help.

I should also add that the phone doesn't appear to have a problem with other networks.

I did some research on this on the Google forums, to see if anyone else was having this problem but there is nothing useful there.

There is a firmware update from the current 4.6.3.16 to 4.6.5.14, and I haven't done it yet since I've heard some pretty negative things about the new firmware. 

I can't put my finger on it, but there must be something in the satellite settings that is causing this problem.

Any ideas/suggestions on where to go now? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Cell phone constantly drops connection to RBS750

Glad you got it working. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a full power OFF of the Orbi system for 5 minutes then back ON been performed in the FW update? 

What happens if you turn OFF the RBS temporarily. Does the phone keep connected the? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Try setting CTS values to 2347.

Try disabling AX mode on the RBR and test.

Message 2 of 6
Bobfireman
Aspirant

Has a full power OFF of the Orbi system for 5 minutes then back ON been performed in the FW update?   > No. There was nothing that said to do that. I guess if it was necessary, it would have been in the instructions? 

What happens if you turn OFF the RBS temporarily. Does the phone keep connected the?  >Good question. I will try that next and report back.

What channels are you using? Auto? >Auto on 2.4ghz, 48 on 5ghz. I did change 2.4ghz to channel 11

Try setting CTS values to 2347.  >Done.

Try disabling AX mode on the RBR and test.>  I'm going to hold off on this for now, since the make up of my networked devices seems to demand AX mode.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

@Bobfireman wrote:

Has a full power OFF of the Orbi system for 5 minutes then back ON been performed in the FW update?   > No. There was nothing that said to do that. I guess if it was necessary, it would have been in the instructions? 

This is a first troubleshooting test is all. Please try this. 

What happens if you turn OFF the RBS temporarily. Does the phone keep connected the?  >Good question. I will try that next and report back.

What channels are you using? Auto? >Auto on 2.4ghz, 48 on 5ghz. I did change 2.4ghz to channel 11

Try setting CTS values to 2347.  >Done.

Try disabling AX mode on the RBR and test.>  I'm going to hold off on this for now, since the make up of my networked devices seems to demand AX mode. 

👍

Message 4 of 6
Bobfireman
Aspirant

The latest:

I upgraded the firmware. That alone did not fix the problem, but did seem to increase the speed through the router.

I unplugged the satellite, so I could confirm that the cell phone was only connecting to the router, and the problem did not re-occur. This seems to confirm that the issue was with the satellite.

I then unplugged the router for 5 minutes and then restarted everything. I got a message that the satellite needed a firmware upgrade, so I did that, and then unplugged it for several minutes (at least 5).

Turned everything back on, and got a bit worried because the satellite kept going offline, with the ring light being blue for several minutes then "pulsing" white, and then back to blue. Eventually, that behavior stopped, and so far the network is back up and stable.

I have not resorted to disabling AX mode, since the array of devices I have on my network need that mode to operate well. Since the problem has been relieved,  I don't see a need to do it now, but will keep it in mind if future problems come up.

Thanks for your help!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7