Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DON'T UPDATE TO RBR850 (ORBI ROUTER) FIRMWARE VERSION V3.2.17.12_1.4.1 -- THERE ARE ISSUES!

skyward1
Apprentice

DON'T UPDATE TO RBR850 (ORBI ROUTER) FIRMWARE VERSION V3.2.17.12_1.4.1 -- THERE ARE ISSUES!

Hello,

I updated (don't I ever learn) to the latest firmware this morning, only to experience 'issues', as usual, when Netgear makes an update.  I got an email from Netgear saying that there were some 'Security Updates', which made me feel I needed more security.  I tried the update via the webgui, but it said I had the latest update (which I didn't), so I went to the Netgear downloads website and downloaded the latest update and manually installed it (satellite first).  All seemed okay, initially.  No, I did not do a reset of the router/satellite, as Netgear doesn't instruct to do so.

The webgui didn't work properly to show attached devices, there were some serious connectivity issues with my VoIP PBX, the app showed magenta for the router...then the sattelite (but no magenta on the hardware itself).  I eventually did a rollback to  V3.2.16.22_1.4.9 and all is nice and peaceful again.  🙂 

I would recommend NOT doing an update EVER, unless you have some other issues that you are trying to correct.

If you want to do this update, go ahead and spend several hours of your day.  I'm sure you will be contacting the famous (lol) Netgear support afterwards, or the Community to have them try and hack it out.  Good luck to all who try!

I now have the rest of my day back!

sky~

Message 1 of 2
vajim
Master

Re: DON'T UPDATE TO RBR850 (ORBI ROUTER) FIRMWARE VERSION V3.2.17.12_1.4.1 -- THERE ARE ISSUES!

It's sad that Netgear can't do a better QA on their firmware.  

To make things worse there is a group of folks here in this forum who believe you can fix broken firmware with 1000 questions.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7