Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Double NAT / Strict NAT

LVJRich
Tutor

Double NAT / Strict NAT

I am at my wits end! We have three XBox consoles in my home and all three keep getting a Double NAT or Strict NAT condition. I have turned on UPnp and IPV6 to no avail. I have a Motorola MB8600 modem that the documentation says is already a bridge modem, so I am not sure what else I can do. We are regularly getting kicked from multiplayer games. My current FW is 3.2.10.11

Any ideas other than port forwarding or DMZ, which I am not too fond of doing.
Message 1 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Double NAT / Strict NAT

I would review this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-Double-NAT-Type-error-after-2-days/td-p/1872308/jump...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

No, haven't done a factory reset yet. We just upgraded to Cox GigaBlast, replaced my old Arris Surfboard with the new Motorola, and replace my old Orbi system with this new RBR850. Several problems so far but this is the one it the first on the list.
Message 3 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Power ON all three game consoles. When they are ready, hold the front power buttons until they turn OFF. Leave them off. Then I would power OFF the modem for 30 seconds then back ON. WHile this is happening, press the reset button in back of the RBR for 15 seconds then release. Walk thru the setup wizard and complete the setup. Reset the RBS as well. 

Be sure to check CTS and RTS values. If you see 64, change both radios to 2347. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Power ON one xbox at a time and check NAT status on the dashboard networking settings. 

Are the game consoles wired or wireless? 

Message 4 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

One is wired to Orbi router
One is wired to Orbi satellite
One is on WiFi.
All three giving the same condition.

When I have run the tracert I am seeing the double NAT addresses but cannot explain why. Goes straight from wall --> modem --> Orbi.

I will do the steps above as suggested and post the results.

After I have factory reset, are there any other settings besides the info above, that I should be looking at? Everything I have researched says to use port forwarding or DMZ and I really would rather not. I have also read info saying UPnP and/or IPv6 should solve it, but neither worked.

I am a firm believer in Orbi since I am a long time user but this $600 unit is giving me fits.
Message 5 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

I did everything listed above, including the factory reset, and the problem persists. Still getting Double NAT on the xbox and my tracert is still showing the same. I have no idea what to do or how to fix this, not even sure how I can have a Double NAT error with my current setup.
Message 6 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

I am just adding more info:

I read an entire thread about the current FW being buggy?  Not sure if this is the case here.

I spoke to my ISP tech at length.  They are showing all green on their end, nothing what so ever out of the ordinary.  They suggested either bad FW, a bad Orbi (it's only two weeks old) or going to a different router altogether.

Message 7 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

Any additional thoughts?

Message 8 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

I would turn OFF ALL RBS after the reset. Add them later. Reset them then turn them OFF. 

Get the RBR setup then test NAT condition with the RBR first alone with the first xbox. It should get OPEN NAT. 

I would test out all xboxes on the RBR first. 

What is the WAN IP address the RBR is seeing while connected to the ISP Modem? We should be seeing a ##.##.###.### kind of address and not a 192, 172 or a 10 address string. 

One thing that I know there is a bug with is that prior version of FW would not correctly give me OPEN NAT when in router mode. v10.11 was the first one I was able to get OPEN NAT with when in router mode. I've been using AP mode up to this point with my Orbi AX with a NG XR450 gaming router which we have NAT Filter set to OPEN and allows for OPEN NAT on two consoles and in game when playing same game at the same time:

https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21

I can't do this with Orbi AX. 

Were you seeing OPEN NAT before with all your consoles on the dashboard in prior FW versions? I could not for lift of me get OPEN NAT with just 1 xbox. SO I had to run AP mode. 

There is another bug which I'm trying to get NG to fix. The NAT Filter feature on Orbi AX when set to OPEN isn't working. When it's set to open, NAT testing should report FULL CONE NAT. It's reporting Port Address Restricted NAT instead. If we can get NG to fix this then having two or more game consoles online at the same time with OPEN NAT shouldn't be a problem anymore. Orbi AC doesn't have this problem so that 50 series works fine. Just need NG to get this fixed for the 850 series. 

Message 9 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

I have never had an open NAT since I installed the Orbi AX.  I have only had it for a week or so and spent more time setting up the network and never paid much attention to the consoles.  I assume I started with the latest FW.

This, I think, might be my problem and what I was talking to my ISP about last night.  When I did a /tracert last night, my first two hops are:

192.###.#.#

10.##.###.#

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the WAN IP address the RBR is seeing while connected to the ISP Modem? We should be seeing a ##.##.###.### kind of address and not a 192, 172 or a 10 address string. 

Message 10 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, those are not what should  seen on the RBR. WAN side should be ##.##.###.### 

I thought your modem was a modem only however I see it maybe doing some NAT'g. I see it has 4 ports on the back I I might have though incorrectly. Need to get this modem bridged if possible if this is the case. 

It shuld be a modem only by this link:

https://motorolanetwork.com/catalog/product/view/id/1056/s/mb8600/category/111/

There any other router device in between the modem and RBR? Just checking...

Message 11 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

Yes, this is the problem, it's already a bridge modem.

Motorola MB8600

@FURRYe38is correct that your post probably belongs in the "AX" community forum.  Meanwhile, here here some suggestions:

• You are fortunate to have the Motorola MB8600 modem.  That eliminates a host of potential issues.
    It is "only a modem" and in no way contributes to the problem
Message 12 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

No sir:

ISP -->  Modem (Motorola MB8600) -->  Orbi AX (RBR850)

Message 13 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

So what is the WAN IP address seen on the RBRs Advanced TAB home page? Is it a 10 or a 193 address? Just comfirming what the RBR is using currently. 

Message 14 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

Odd, not seeing a WAN IP address on the Advanced tab, home page.

There is a 192... UNDER lan?

Message 15 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

You should see one section box titled "INTERNET PORT"

InternetPort.png

Message 16 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

Sorry, having a frustrating day here.

Correct, under "Internet Port" IP Address is a 98.###.##.###

Message 17 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, good. This is what it should be so the modem is just a modem and no NAT there. 

What are you using the the LAN iP adress on the RBR? Default 192.168.1.1? 

Message 18 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

Yes sir, that default is what I am using.

Message 19 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Wondering where your getting 10. address in your tracert from?

Mines 

192.168.100.1<This is my CM1100 modem only. This is what should be seen with yours I believe. 

Message 20 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

Honestly, that has been my question all along.  Speaking with my ISP last night for quite some time, they could not explain it either.

I think this is the root of all my issues.  Double NAT, disconnects, slowdowns, etc.

Message 21 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, OPEN NAT has been problematic on Orbi AX since day one. Up until v10.11 was applied to mine, then I finally got OPEN NAT with 1 xbox here. I run two separate networks off my CM1100 modem so I have two routers connected, each get different IPs from ISP. So I have 1 xbox on one router and the other on the other router. OPEN NAT on both however in game, MW at the same time, is moderate.

What was your prior router you were using?  

@LVJRich wrote:

I have never had an open NAT since I installed the Orbi AX.  I have only had it for a week or so and spent more time setting up the network and never paid much attention to the consoles.  I assume I started with the latest FW.

This, I think, might be my problem and what I was talking to my ISP about last night.  When I did a /tracert last night, my first two hops are:

192.###.#.#

10.##.###.#

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 22 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

What ISP speed do you pay for? 
You might want to give a different modem a try. 

I only see the MB8600 thats D3.1 supporting:

https://motorolanetwork.com/cable-modem

I have the MB7420. Had it online a while back but it doesnt' support 1G ISP services.

Does your ISP support NGs CM1000 or 1100 by chance? Just curious

Message 23 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

I was running an Orbi RBR50 through an Arris Surfboard.

Once I jumped to gigablast, I upgraded both the modem and the router.

Been a HUGE fan or the Orbi since the beginning but this is making me second guess this purchase.  Not sure if it's too new and they haven't worked out all of the bugs or what but I am considering returning it and going with a different option.  Although I really do not want to.  The wife works from home and has to have steady, uninterrupted internet, and so far, it's not been happening.

Message 24 of 61
LVJRich
Tutor

I chose the Motorola MB8600 since it does support GigaBlast nad seemed like it would be solid upgrade-free for several years.  Plus it had stellar reviews.

Message 25 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 60 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7