Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Guest network broadcasts, devices can connect, but no internet

zapp7
Star

Guest network broadcasts, devices can connect, but no internet

Like the title says, the guest network is enabled and broadcasting. Devices can connect to it successfully, however there is no internet access on the guest network. My main WiFi network is functioning properly with internet access.

I tried disabling and enabling the guest network to no avail. Other than that, there aren't many settings on the guest network page so I'm not sure what else to do.

Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
zapp7
Star

Annnnd now it's working. Go figure!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 28

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 28
zapp7
Star

The firmware is V3.2.16.22_1.4.9.

It's connected to an Actiontec T3200M (configured to just pass through the signal to the Orbi), which is connected to a Nokia Intertek ONT.

How could that affect the guest WiFi on the Orbi?

Message 3 of 28
zapp7
Star

Annnnd now it's working. Go figure!

Message 4 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting. Not sure why you were having problems first off. No idea. You can choose to keep whats loaded as FW or update as well, as v 12 is available for manual download. 

Message 5 of 28
Srivabhinav
Guide

I have the same issue with RBR850. What was the fix for this issue? The solution link doesn't seem to be working. 

Message 6 of 28
zapp7
Star

There wasn't actually a fix, I just noticed it was working one day.

I read somewhere else that people have had issues with the satellite not broadcasting the guest network. That may be what my issue was, but I'm not sure. I haven't fully investigated yet. I don't use the guest network very often, so I haven't gotten around to looking into it.

Message 7 of 28
Srivabhinav
Guide

Thanks for the response. 

I have the same issue here. Device stays connected but every few mins no internet connection on the guest networks. At the same the main network works flawlessly. 

Rebooting, factory reset, changing DNS servers doesn't seem to fix the issue. 

Message 8 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

You might update FW as well. v12 is available for manual download and installation only. 

Message 9 of 28
Srivabhinav
Guide

Sorry I should have mentioned that as well. Already done - no luck 😞

Message 10 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

So after a factory reset and setup from scratch, later on, enabling Guest Network, nothing is getting connected while on GN? What happens if you disable WPA security temporarily on GN and connect something, anything get thru? 

Message 11 of 28
Srivabhinav
Guide

The devices connect just fine but they lose internet connection every few mins (for like 2 mins). After 2 mins( approx )they start working again. WiFi stays connected the whole time just internet stops on GN only.
Message 12 of 28
zapp7
Star

I wonder if this could be weak signal due to the satellite not broadcasting the guest network? Maybe try connecting to the guest network  on your phone when you're right next to the main router, where the signal is strong, and see if the internet still drops out.

Message 13 of 28
Srivabhinav
Guide

Have an Apple TV couple of feet away and have the same issue on it as well if I connect Apple TV to the GN. 

Message 14 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 40-50 feet max distance. 

Message 15 of 28
Srivabhinav
Guide

Approx 2000 Sq ft. I assume that is not the issue since the main network works flawlessly. 

Message 16 of 28
zapp7
Star

Yeah, that's why this issue is kind of mind-boggling. Don't know how the main WiFi could work while the guest network just doesn't.

The guest network on my previous Google WiFi had no issues. It's pretty obviously an issue with the Orbi.

Message 17 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Message 18 of 28
Srivabhinav
Guide

It's approximately 30 feet. I had initially placed it a little too far but had to recalibrate the distance to where it's presently at as I was having issues with my main network as well. This was resolved as soon as I moved it closer. 

Message 19 of 28
philoouu
Luminary

When satellite is connected with wired backhaul (when connected in wireless no issue), the guest network will not allow internet on the connected devices. Although devices are connected, there is some DNS issue and internet will not work unless you know the IP numbers and do not need a dictionary.

I have to admit that it does not happen with all users; it does happen when you modify a configuration in general. It will work after a factory reset but at some point, when you modify your configuration, it will stop working.

Support desk is well aware of this issue, they have reproduced it but looks like Netgear does not think it is a priority….

There are plenty of bugs unfortunately… and Netgear should really fix them instead of advertising on the speed…

Message 20 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch. First configure the system for your needs. Leaving the Guest Netowrk for last. When all is setup, enable Guest Network then see what happens. 

@Srivabhinav wrote:

It's approximately 30 feet. I had initially placed it a little too far but had to recalibrate the distance to where it's presently at as I was having issues with my main network as well. This was resolved as soon as I moved it closer. 

Message 21 of 28
Srivabhinav
Guide

Thank you for your response!

Message 22 of 28
Srivabhinav
Guide

Thanks. Will try that over the weekend and circle back. 

Message 23 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 24 of 28
Srivabhinav
Guide

Factory reset didn't fix the issue.

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors